Billy? This is Wyatt, time to cash-in!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
U-S-A! World's most expensive motorcycle! One-point-three-five million dollars!
102107122-AP928573805483.530x298.jpg

A star-spangled chopper reportedly ridden by Peter Fonda in the classic film "Easy Rider" sold for $1.35 million, making it one of the most expensive motorcycles ever sold.

Auction house Profiles in History sold the bike over the weekend for far above the reserve price of $1 million. The chopper, known as the "Captain America" chopper for the name of Fonda's character in the 1969 film, was owned by Los Angeles collector Michael Eisenberg.

The price came despite media reports that cast doubt on the authenticity of the bike. The Los Angeles Times reported that an earlier "Captain America" chopper had been sold that also claimed to be the last remaining of its kind from the film.

Fonda told the Times before the sale: "There's a big rat stinking someplace in this." Perhaps we haven't heard the end of this story. But for now, some reports say the bike—the real deal or not—is the most expensive ever sold at auction.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102107175

I'd rather have one of those 250cc Honda 6's they raced back in the 1960's..

Nostalgia isn't cheap. But there are many bikes I'd want before that one. Only the history makes it worth much. A Black Shadow, if I'm going to dream, would suit me better.

Why Steve-o, I never knew....all you gotta do is ask!! :biglaugh:

Attachments

• 100_2990.jpg
    100_2990.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 24
I would rather have a Brough Superior w/a 1000 cc engine. One from TE Lawrence...

They ARE the quintessential ' chopper ' BUT , after riding a hardtail for 20 years , they LOOK bettah than they ride...:worthy:

Ariel Square Four...rode one a long time ago...nice bike but no power band to speak of from a 4 cylinder...:confused2:

Nearly fifty years-ago, I had just received my license. The Summer of Love had passed, (children, ask your grandparents) and winter was on its way to Lake Ontario. I was standing outside on the sidewalk on a cool blustery day which foreshadowed the snow soon to arrive. It was still biking weather if you dressed for it. I was a teenager, and the events of the time were playing-out on the news, in the newspaper, and the movies. Easy Rider wasn't yet out, but Wild Angels was.

So I'm standing outside of the shopping center on the sidewalk, and I hear a deep engine sound, well-before I could see it. Then it turns-off the road and enters the shopping mall parking lot. It arcs the turn, and the rumble becomes louder, more 'present.' As I watch, the bike heads straight for where I am standing. I can't look elsewhere, I must watch this two-wheeled creation and its rider. He slows-down, and comes to a stop right in-front of me. He throws-down the kickstand and dismounts, switching-off the engine. Like many riders of the day, he had jeans, linesman's boots, a leather jacket, and a knit watch cap w/sunglasses.

The bike had a stretched front end, I don't recall the paint, but it wasn't some bright color scheme, it was dark, like the clouds that day, which was overcast. As the bike started cooling-down, and the rider came-up on the sidewalk, I asked, "what is that?" It was the first chopper I had ever seen up-close.

He walked past me and entered the lounge I was standing in-front-of. He showed a bit of a smile at my gawking stare taking-in the bike, and said, "Ariel Square Four."

I've liked them ever-since.

Another Edwin Turner design, like the Triumph Twin. Quite the legacy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 4
Back