Blazer or Bronco?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eugene Brad

Reaction score
All right everyone, being that this is the only forum I am active on and I don't have any other forms of social media I thought I would get some of your input. I know I should probably go ahead and get in a 4x4 forum but I don't really want to.
So I got my tax refund and am thinking about buying a blazer or a bronco. I have researched a bit and am leaning toward a gen 2 bronco (78-79) with a 351if I can find one I can afford, but was hoping for some input from you gear heads. I'm also not opposed to fuel injected Broncos but I hear the front ends, what is it ttb? Are kinda weak. I Have always loved blazers as well but it seems they can be a bit lacking 4x4 performance without bigger axels and rear end and I've heard mixed reviews about the throttle body injection on the years that I would be able to afford.
Anyway thought I would check here for any of your guys input and experience.
Here is one bronco that cought my eye

https://portland.craigslist.org/nco/cto/d/1984-ford-bronco/6495895123.html

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

What are your plans? Lift kits? 40 inch boggers? Stroker? Mud truck? Pavement pounder? I'm a Mopar guy mostly. Have you looked for a ramcharger? I know the bronco's you can take the top off. If you lift it you'll have to drop the center with the twin I beam suspension otherwise your tires will lean. They make bushings that are offset for the ball joints. Allot of people do a solid front axle swap mostly Dana 60s, or something equal. There are allot aftermarket parts out for ford and Chevy. Not so much for Mopar. If my memory serves me right Chevy has a solid front axle in the square body blazer, but when they downsized to the s10 blazer they went to ifs. Chevy lacks on power, without sprucing up the engine. There are allot of used Chevy bolt ons on Craigslist to add power. If it's carb do away with thermoquad. They work good when work, but you usually spend more time getting them to work. Chevy had a pretty tbi system, just isn't much in the aftermarket for it. You could go with the self learn tbi, a few more bucks but everything I've seen on them they are worth it. I'm going that route with my 360 build in a 91 d150 reg cab, short bed.

What are your plans? Lift kits? 40 inch boggers? Stroker? Mud truck? Pavement pounder? I'm a Mopar guy mostly. Have you looked for a ramcharger? I know the bronco's you can take the top off. If you lift it you'll have to drop the center with the twin I beam suspension otherwise your tires will lean. They make bushings that are offset for the ball joints. Allot of people do a solid front axle swap mostly Dana 60s, or something equal. There are allot aftermarket parts out for ford and Chevy. Not so much for Mopar. If my memory serves me right Chevy has a solid front axle in the square body blazer, but when they downsized to the s10 blazer they went to ifs. Chevy lacks on power, without sprucing up the engine. There are allot of used Chevy bolt ons on Craigslist to add power. If it's carb do away with thermoquad. They work good when work, but you usually spend more time getting them to work. Chevy had a pretty tbi system, just isn't much in the aftermarket for it. You could go with the self learn tbi, a few more bucks but everything I've seen on them they are worth it. I'm going that route with my 360 build in a 91 d150 reg cab, short bed.
I'd like 35"-37" tires so prob 4" of lift. A lot of rigs around here already have the stance I am into. Want to be able to rally the sand dunes to some degree with the family and hit some mud trails but by no means 9" lifts with 44" tires. Something that I can drive to the store or the trails. So half pavement pounder half trail rig. I have looked for the ramchargers and there are not many in my neck of the woods. I used to have a scout that was a very fun rig. Regret selling that. They are going for way more than I am willing to pay. Really not partial to any just want to be sure I evaluate all possibilities.

International scout, was the ultimate tail rig. Only thing close to those are the broncos. My uncle had a late 80s broncho. He pulled an old diesel from an f-250 and stuck in it lol. First diesel powered bronco I ever seen. My cousin had it for awhile, them sold it a few years ago. It's all just on what you to spend, just have weigh the differences. I would prolly go with the bronco, and spend money on a lift, and look for chrome moly axles for the front and rear, go with a locker, few bolt ons for little extra power. It's already got the 351, and a c6. Chevy had the wimpy 350, but with some work can be a decent power house. I did like that front end on those year bronco's, and f series trucks. And you can pop off the top.

International scout, was the ultimate tail rig. Only thing close to those are the broncos. My uncle had a late 80s broncho. He pulled an old diesel from an f-250 and stuck in it lol. First diesel powered bronco I ever seen. My cousin had it for awhile, them sold it a few years ago. It's all just on what you to spend, just have weigh the differences. I would prolly go with the bronco, and spend money on a lift, and look for chrome moly axles for the front and rear, go with a locker, few bolt ons for little extra power. It's already got the 351, and a c6. Chevy had the wimpy 350, but with some work can be a decent power house. I did like that front end on those year bronco's, and f series trucks. And you can pop off the top.
What did you like about the ttb front end? Heard it's a smooth overall ride but they are weak for four wheeling and little more expensive and complicated to work on. But it may be good for my needs as long as I don't get into anything too hairy. Of course in my experience whealing it's always too late once you realize things got too hairy, lol.

It was Fords attempt at an ifs. It's not bad really overall, it just plays hell with the camber of the front tires. Part of the reason of you look at the then the tires always look to be tipped out at the top. Like I said they made bushing kits to correct it. They had two versions. The regular duty single shock, and the heavy duty twin shock design with I believe heavy coil springs. It's better for off-road, articulation isn't as noticed as with a solid front axle. Stock you shouldn't have much trouble with it, once you start adding more power, bigger tires is when stuff starts breaking. U joints are kinda a pain, but not that bad of you have the tools. Mainly the socket for the bearing lock nut, and retainer nut. Forget what size it was. Not like today's with the hub assembly. So bearings are cheaper, greaseable unlike the current hub assembly. They are kinda simple once you see how they work. Check the rubber bushings where the trailing arms mount to the frame, right around the area where the door and the fender meet there is a bracket rivited to the frame rail. Also check the radiator support, and mounts for rust, bottoms of the fenders, rear wheel arches, and rockers for rust. Check the body mounts for rot also. If the body looks low on one corner. My brother had one with the 351, he really had no problems with it, just body was badly rotted. Good ole NY salt. He got a deal on it, wouldn't start, paid $500 took off the starter solonoid, smacked it lightly on the inner fender, put it back in, drive it home with the seller standing right there, after he already bought it lol.

Back