Bleeding Master Cylinder

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok here is the story, got up early this morning and rebuilt the slave cylinder. Still nothing. researched some more on here and other sites and come to find out the master cylinder was rebuilt wrong :bang head:. I had reversed the spring so the second seal was at the back end of the master. STUPID. so I pulled it off reversed it and put the thing back on the bike. Took my mity vac, sucked fluid through, reverse bled, and the lever gained resistance. now it works beautiful! so glad thats over with. Still wondering how i managed to do that, I am usually pretty good at remembering how things go together.... Thanks for everyones help.

well glad you got it working. just chock another one up for the memory bank for everyone.

Well I just finished rebuilding the master and slave clutch cylinders. Although I didn't mess up the master assembly, I did take it apart twice because it was taking FOREVER to build up any pressure. Actually, I came in to look it up on the forum and when I went back out (15 minutes), it was starting to build up pressure finally. I guess I am used to the dirt bike units.

A few other comments for those under taking this effort.

1) Have a pair of circlip pliers with a LONG tip (for the master cylinder disassembly)
2) The Clymer manual says to remove the alternator cover to access the slave cylinder, but I don't think this is necessary.
3) I am not sure if I did a good enough job of making sure the passages in the bottom of the master cylinder were clear.

You don't need a long needle nose plier for the circlip, just use a straight pick to grab a hole in the circlip end and while pressing the shaft of the pick towards the center of the piston shaft, pull upwards. You will get the circlip end out of the groove it sits in and then do the same thing to the other end. Now with both ends out you can simply remove the clip. When it comes time to replace it, just use the largest deep 1/4" socket in your set that will fit into the recessed opening far-enough to seat the circlip.

Latest posts

Back