Brake caliper seal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmax1985

Reaction score
None of the caliper rebuild kits come with the two small rubber seals that are inside the caliper, you have to split the caliper to get the pistons out and there they are but they do not come with any rebuild kits I have found online. Any suggestions?

I can't remember where I saw those but I have not had an issue reusing them either.

Well, it is a 1985, thought it would be better to replace. I can not understand why they do not come with the kit. If you look at the diagram on cheapcycleparts.com they don't show them..

I got a rebuild kit for my '99 a few years ago and amazingly, the square o-rings came with it....but no rebuild kit since then had them. Pretty sure I bought a box of them after that but never needed any....I'll see if I can scare up some if you're interested.

Well, it is a 1985, thought it would be better to replace. I can not understand why they do not come with the kit. If you look at the diagram on cheapcycleparts.com they don't show them..

It's a liability issue....Yamaha doesn't want people splitting the calipers and getting whacked in the head with improperly removed pistons.

Correct. The diameter is a circle but the cross section if you cut it open is a square. This is done to increase sealing capability with increased surface area and the way the oring fights pressure.

The orings on the caliper pistons are the same way to encourage the piston to retract just a little when letting off the brake lever.

I cant think of the name but theres a company in england that sells complete rebuild kits that have the square o rings in them. Used em for my r1 caliper rebuild and was very happy with the service and quick shipping to the states. Very reasonably priced to. If only i could remember the name! lol

I found a supplier for these, the price is a little higher at $2.50 ea. + $1.50 shipping to US zip codes, overseas shipping will have to be calculated.

Next question are all year model calipers the same internally? Do do have the website link to it Dano ?

Next question are all year model calipers the same internally? Do do have the website link to it Dano ?

I believe they are the same Joe, I've used these same o-rings on early 2-pot and later 4-pot calipers and they fit.

Website link to what Joe?

A link to the place that sells the square shaped O ring. It must be a place where you have to know the size eh?

A link to the place that sells the square shaped O ring. It must be a place where you have to know the size eh?

Guess I wasn't very specific Joe....sorry. I sell them thru BRC Carb Shop.

Yeah, it was a lot of screwing around finding the correct size, buying ones that wouldn't fit, etc.

Well, now I know where to get them. It's good you have hard to find items at BRC. I hope they work as well as the carbs you rebuild.........

Latest posts

Back