Buffeting

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

invalidsession

Reaction score
The wife and I took a 350 mile round trip this weekend, mostly on well paved back roads but we had a terrible time on I70 between Kingdom City MO and St Louis. We were both encountering some nasty buffeting (she on her Bonneville and myself on my 07 Max). The wake turbulence from the cars, trucks and semi's was to say the least spooky. Neither bike has a windshield but both wear newer tires set to the correct pressures and both have good suspension set ups. We wore snug fitting leather jackets, full face helmets, jeans and boots. I have ridden many thousands of miles on my old FJ1200 and never experienced anything as bad as this before. It's the longest trip we have taken thus far on these bikes and it's the first time I was ever pleased to get home and get off a bike. Does anyone else experience this ? We were riding at or just under the 70mph limit, road conditions weren't the greatest but no tramlines to speak of. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Chris.

My 85 did that very same thing way back as far as 1985 too. I stay away from the interstates as much as I can when riding it.

I want to say that's "Biking".
I expect that and am ready to counteract the push from semis and other big vehicles. Passing at 120 mph and you almost lean into a semi as you pass it. Country roads where it's two lane head on traffice, I try to stay to the right of my lane to avoid the wind but the grit and pebbles that seemingly always get thrown up. One time while on a trip the crosswind had the semi trucks parked and it was like a game to lean against the wind in order to stay in my lane. It was fun at first then just got exhausting. An unplanned stop for gas and Waffle House.

I wonder how much weight has to do with this ? I reckon my Max is under 600lbs what with the stock muffler and center stand etc removed. I'm around 160lbs fully dressed in riding gear, my wifes bike is lighter but (ahem) she's a little heavier so both bikes laden are about the same. I ride with a bunch of Harleys that weigh in well over my total weight before you add in the rider, and most of them are big blokes @ around 200lbs +.
Just a thought.

Chris.

"Buffeting?" This is "buffeting:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=j-zczJXSxnw

:rofl_200:

And our friend in Brimley MI can tell us about this one: http://www.mackinacbridge.org/about-the-bridge-8/

MAC6542X.jpg

Here's something "good to-know" about it: All suspension bridges are designed to move to accommodate wind, change in temperature, and weight. It is possible that the deck at center span could move as much as 35 feet (east or west) due to high winds. This would only happen under severe wind conditions.:confused2:

We do have a lot of wind in my area as it is not uncommon to have a 20-30 mph breeze coming off Lake Superior. I really don't notice it too much probably because of the regularity of the wind, it is more pronounced in the open hay fields of course. I ride on mostly two lane roads and get the expected wind blast from passing trucks/ motorhomes/ etc. but that has always been a factor. I have noticed that since adding radials the lean into the wind isn't as pronounced and it is easier to handle those big gusts from the side.

I've noticed that I feel less buffeting against my body with my larger windshield, but I feel it more through the bike itself now. Does not bother me, where as my body seems to instinctively adjust now.

I'm wondering if there's a solution like lowers (Baker wings or something like that) that would redirect enough air to cure the buffeting issue at cruising speeds.

Speed on the highway on a Vmax sucks. Doing 70 mph on a non faired bike vs a faired bike is like sitting in a lazy boy enjoying the sun.

Now heavy gusts from the side seem to rock a faired bike more as an instant hit, but affect both a faired and non faired bike the same in the long run. But head on highway speed is obviously totally better on a faired bike.

Thats one reason I like to ride my ZX14 more than the Vmax. Around town under 60 mph the Vmax is fun. Back country roads were you don't hit highways speeds the Vmax is fun. Long trips like Thunder.... ahh... no so much fun. Once you ride a full faired bike a long distance, its hard to ever go to a non fairing bike. Just the sheer force of wind beating you up constantly sucks. On the 14, 85 mph is nothing, no wind hitting you, its quieter also, as the wind is above your head.

One thing I really hate is when my passenger moves their head and the wind grabs mine and makes me weeble wobble my head back and forth.

customizedcreationz has it spot on.

Overall the wind buffeting the bike and rider is the same, it is just where it happens to be hitting.

I noticed a huge difference when I put the mini windshield on my 2007. As small as it is it does not look like it does much, but it creates a bubble about up to the middle of my helmet. Inside that bubble I don't feel my body being blown around like when sitting upright or pre-windshield.

Where is really becomes unnerving is when you are leaning the bike to counter a heavy cross wind and pass a semi. All at once the wind stops and you need to be on top of things to correct the lean before the bike swerves.....ahhhha, good times.

I notice it the most if I am behind a large truck on the interstate. My helmet starts moving around a bunch. I am not usually right behind these trucks due the idea of if it runs over something in the road I have it coming at me next and I always get nervous about their tires also...Plus they don't see bikes very well sometimes cars either...

Had a semi truck tire explode in front of me last year and hit me with a chunk of tire....

So beside the buffeting problem, like Eggo said, I distance myself from trucks if I can. I guess its a good point Eggo brought up, and probably worth reminding people of getting hit from things from big trucks or anything else for that matter.

This hurt and almost knocked me off the bike, I saw it last second and was able to roll my shoulder just as it hit me. it was a chunk of solid tire about 10-12 inches long and 6 inches wide that hit me. This part of steel belt penetrated my jacked into my chest enough to cut me but nothing big.

Scared me good though lol.

So avoid buffeting trucks and shrapnel!

10488000_795503860483321_379561020893928369_n.jpg

Back