building frame braces

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jinks

Reaction score
well I've read a lot about the benefits of using these bars in the corners to keep the frame from flexing.
Do they also help with high speed wobble ????

So I had this box metal iron laying around the shop and decided to give this a try. I had round tube metal as well but chose the square because its more precise & easier to conform....."just cut a slit on 3 sides" and close. I thought I could use the f
1st strut I made for a template..Wrong !....The motor sticks out farther on the clutch side and I had to make 2 bends in it for clearance . I will make some "mounting tabs" tomorrow and weld them up.
These are going to have 1 tab welded to the frame..........QUESTION - do I have to disconnect the battery before I weld the Tab to the Frame ??? Will it hurt the electrical components in the bike.??
I have welded many frames before but they were bare.

struts%20001_zpssqe0fat6.jpg

struts%20003_zpsgtkncsyr.jpg

struts%20002_zpsw2ta2vba.jpg

struts%20004_zpsomv6svej.jpg

Go with solid motor mounts. before frame braces. I think you will see you won't need the braces.
I did.

be on the safe side. disconnect the battery

The wobble is usually a steering head bearing problem. Also. I'd think about moving your mounting point up a bit higher just based on what all the other manufacturers do with their designs.

I just recently installed RMS weld on frame braces and I didn't disconnect the battery (maybe I should have).
Also I had them welded at the lower end of where the rear section meets the front section of frame.
That was where they were most comfortable for me and they still tie the front and rear frame sections together well.
Moving them up an inch or so higher so they line up exactly with the center of the rear frame section, might be slightly stronger BUT I really doubt I will ever notice any difference.
After installing them I definitely noticed a considerable difference in cornering stability.
And my handle bars don't vibrate like a Harley like they do with solid motor mounts.

Attachments

• DSCF5714.jpg
    DSCF5714.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 129
  • DSCF5715.jpg
    DSCF5715.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your pics. It will guide me .
I don't have any wobble issues but it would be nicer for the twisties.

Thanks for the "heads-Up" guys. will disconnect. But.....wont be doing Nothing for the next few days.....PINK EYE !! arrrgggg !! My lovely wife passed it on to me. So NO welding or grinding. I'm going for a nap....sigh.

well the Eye balls feel a lot better so I figured I'd get back to building the braces & a home made apple pie. These braces are WAY more work than I thought they would be. There is so much more to it. I wanted them tucked in tight and neat looking and it was several " try e'm, take e'm off" kinda thing. After welding them up.....they shrank and the holes didn't line up any more LOL,,,,,so into the vice for some tweaking. I have one side ready for paint, but have a few hours of filing & grinding on the other. BUT, I had to stop, run in the house and get my pie out of the oven ! Dam is it tasty. Hope the braces turn out as good.

apple%20pie%20framebraces%20003_zpsdtc5j7rz.jpg

apple%20pie%20framebraces%20001_zps8r49hkxr.jpg

apple%20pie%20framebraces%20008_zpsik7aym1d.jpg

Those looks pretty darn good to me.
I am looking forward to seeing them after you get them both finished.

personally...I would have used shaft collars and welded them on the ends of the braces...that would have made it a bolt on application vs. a weld the frame deal...

DONE...finally. well it was way more time consuming than I thought it was gonna be. But....I like the out-come.

vmax%20bars%20done11%20005_zpse3fzysey.jpg

vmax%20bars%20done11%20002_zpsx7eipw8s.jpg

vmax%20bars%20done11%20004_zpss1gepham.jpg

vmax%20bars%20done11%20003_zpsg47towqy.jpg

vmax%20bars%20done11%20002_zpsx7eipw8s.jpg

Thanks all for your reply's. I can see why they want so much money for these braces,...its allot of figuring & measuring to get them just right. I feel $250 bucks for these is a fair price for these now that I have built some. Not much material cost, just a lot of dicking around, LOL.

Latest posts

Back