Buying a 1st gen with mods. Need opinions on price.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsplans

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Looking at buying my first VMAX and I'm wondering if this price merits the modifications to the brakes and suspension and exhaust. These are particularly rare in my area, and it seems like it's owned by someone who has meticulously maintained it and looking at his profile photos, is an older rider that owns Harleys and even has a full shop with lifts etc. $6500 CAD

Any questions I should ask? I'm aware of the second gear issue. Can owners typically hide this? What other things should I be looking out for?

Thanks for all your help.

Description from seller.

"For sale. My gorgeous 2003 Vmax. New progressive springs in the front forks and new seals ($200).New progressive 444s rear shocks (lowered 1 inch $950). New battery in April ($200). Shinko tires 3 years ago. (less than 1000 km). Drag bars. New steering head bearings last year ($200). New 6 pot front brakes and bigger rotors last 2 years($1000). Adjustable levers. Carbs were fully rebuilt and balanced last year ($800). Runs fantastic. Also comes with original exhaust. I will do another fresh oil change. Excellent condition. This is Not a bike for beginners. Have Carfax. No accidents, no claims. Never been dropped. Not interested in trades. Asking $6500."

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240425-084038~2.png
    Screenshot_20240425-084038~2.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240425-084048~3.png
    Screenshot_20240425-084048~3.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240425-084057.png
    Screenshot_20240425-084057.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240425-084022~2.png
    Screenshot_20240425-084022~2.png
    267.6 KB · Views: 0
seems high to me.....I paid $2200 for mine last year. now mine ran ok but still needed some love. It does look clean and well maintained. Mods usually don't add much to the value of the bike. But that being said vmax are rare and its only money right?

Do a search here and elsewhere for the second gear issue. You can't really hide it, as it will become apparent during a drive.

Is that the whole ad?

I don't see a mention of the mileage. You'll read about some making past 100k miles, so actual mileage is likely less important than care/abuse & maintenance.

If you're close, I would ask if you could be present for the oil change and see what ends up in the pan.

Where are you located? For example, if you're in northern BC, you may have a premium to pay vs in Toronto.

In Canada, the ones in good shape seem to range from 4-6k, with a few outliers on the extremes.

You can find them cheaper in the US, even with the exchange rate, but there is a process to go through to import them: https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/yamaha-letter-of-certification.53651/#post-538027

Lots of info & people here to learn from.

Good luck.

Last edited:
That’s high….when folks start listing cost of the things they do to a bike you’re gonna have issues negotiating. NO ONE gets that money back on resale….local guy here has been trying to get $5600 for a 2000 Max for 2 years….he’ll die with that bike at that price.

Hey everyone. Looking at buying my first VMAX and I'm wondering if this price merits the modifications to the brakes and suspension and exhaust. These are particularly rare in my area, and it seems like it's owned by someone who has meticulously maintained it and looking at his profile photos, is an older rider that owns Harleys and even has a full shop with lifts etc. $6500 CAD

Any questions I should ask? I'm aware of the second gear issue. Can owners typically hide this? What other things should I be looking out for?

Thanks for all your help.

Description from seller.

"For sale. My gorgeous 2003 Vmax. New progressive springs in the front forks and new seals ($200).New progressive 444s rear shocks (lowered 1 inch $950). New battery in April ($200). Shinko tires 3 years ago. (less than 1000 km). Drag bars. New steering head bearings last year ($200). New 6 pot front brakes and bigger rotors last 2 years($1000). Adjustable levers. Carbs were fully rebuilt and balanced last year ($800). Runs fantastic. Also comes with original exhaust. I will do another fresh oil change. Excellent condition. This is Not a bike for beginners. Have Carfax. No accidents, no claims. Never been dropped. Not interested in trades. Asking $6500."
Seems way high$,,remember it is an old obsolete Cycle with a problem getting parts and hard to find a mechanic to work on. Save your money for a 2nd Gen.

Ad says "asking". Offer 4.5. Mileage is pretty important, something in the 20-30k range, that's still only a thousand or 2 miles a year. And dude who suggested 2nd Gen, if the guy doesn't want to, or able to pay 6k, how is he going to pony up 12 or whatever grand??

seems high to me.....I paid $2200 for mine last year. now mine ran ok but still needed some love. It does look clean and well maintained. Mods usually don't add much to the value of the bike. But that being said vmax are rare and its only money right?
Offer him what you thing you should pay. He can only say NO. Nothing lost

Way too high.

The first thing you're going to have to do is ditch those crap Cobra slip-ons he's got on there and get yourself a decent pair of slip-ons to replace them or put the factory exhaust back on it. Those things are absolute shit and castrate the Vmax's performance in a number of ways.

It's a 2003 and he's had to replace the steering head bearings? Mine's a 2007 with 16,000 miles on it and mine are still perfect.

Something is up with that.

And lowered? That kills your lean angle.

He does have the 6 piston calipers on the front, which is a very good thing.

I wouldn't give him a penny over $4,000.00

Last edited:
He has several of our mods on there. Some I think are a bit exaggerated on price. They will make the bike more fun (and even safe) to ride but rarely add value. It does make that bike sell quicker and for a little bit more if those mods match what you want. Some comments added below.

My gorgeous 2003 Vmax.
In the midwest this would be $2500-$4000 depending on how nice it is.
New progressive springs in the front forks and new seals ($200).
Very close on the value/pricing ($120 plus shipping springs and $50 seals).
New progressive 444s rear shocks (lowered 1 inch $950).
I sell new for $650 plus shipping so he's a bit high on his estimate.
New battery in April ($200).
Seems high as the PC680 is around $150ish
Shinko tires 3 years ago. (less than 1000 km). Drag bars.
New steering head bearings last year ($200).
Around $120 in parts though labor can add up if he paid somone to do it
New 6 pot front brakes and bigger rotors last 2 years($1000).
This has our 320mm conversion kit on it. Can't tell if it's dual or single sided. This would be the 320mm rotor and hayabusa 6 piston calipers plus new brake lines. You'd not quite be $1k for the double sided conversion unless you did full rebuilds of the calipers which can add more labor and materials.
Adjustable levers.
Carbs were fully rebuilt and balanced last year ($800).
Maybe a little high but not too far off on the quote. Especially if he paid labor to have them removed/installed from the bike.
Runs fantastic. Also comes with original exhaust. I will do another fresh oil change. Excellent condition. This is Not a bike for beginners. Have Carfax. No accidents, no claims. Never been dropped. Not interested in trades. Asking $6500."

Ad says "asking". Offer 4.5. Mileage is pretty important, something in the 20-30k range, that's still only a thousand or 2 miles a year. And dude who suggested 2nd Gen, if the guy doesn't want to, or able to pay 6k, how is he going to pony up 12 or whatever grand??
I am that dude, better to spend more$ on a better far more modern bike than pissing away thousands$ like he is considering doing. Dude. :)

You are making a lot of 1994 owners sad :(
Sorry, I bought a yellow 87 Supermagna last summer, it's not yellow anymore, and it was nice paint too. The sellers WORST offense,........... he's not a member of this forum!!!

Just a thought, he's asking $6500 cad, that's $4700 US. Doesn't seem that bad a price to me. Would you buy a good stock 2003 for $3700? Can you do those mods for $1000 ?
Am I missing something?
I purchased a low mileage 2004 for $3600, thought it was a good deal, but I've already spent $385 for mods/miscellaneous with more planned. because that's how it starts. Getting some mods at a discount to start seems ok...

Just a thought, he's asking $6500 cad, that's $4700 US. Doesn't seem that bad a price to me. Would you buy a good stock 2003 for $3700? Can you do those mods for $1000 ?
Am I missing something?
I purchased a low mileage 2004 for $3600, thought it was a good deal, but I've already spent $385 for mods/miscellaneous with more planned. because that's how it starts. Getting some mods at a discount to start seems ok...
Pretty-much what I said, that getting a sale price of $4K USA would be a fair deal, considering the maintenance and extras. Sure, 'less is good.' but if the seller wants to get decent $ and use the $ elsewhere, then that selling point ($4K USA) seems like a decent sale price.

Back