Cam timing marks on cam caps?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
See Photo

The book says to line the appropriate cam index holes up with the mark.

On my 99 there is a thin line that looks sorta of like a casting line that is straight up 12 o'clock.
Just to the right of that (for all caps, they're all identical except for the location stamping) there is a tear drop shaped mark cast in to the cap.

The yellow is what I put there for the timing spot and the correct hole for that particular cam.

Sort of confusing.:ummm:

I talked to Damon F. and he went out and looked in his shop and the caps he has do not have that tear dropped shape mark cast in to them.

I lined 'em up on the thin 12 o'clock line and ignored the tear drop shaped one.

But of course now I'm second guessing myself.

Anyone know why Yamaha put these marks here?

Was it the timing marks for the 145 RWHP setup??:rofl_200::rofl_200:

Attachments

• vmnik.jpg
    vmnik.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 49
I have seen those before but not sure what they were for? I probably won't remember but will need to start looking to see if they are a certain year specific?

Sean

I have seen those before but not sure what they were for? I probably won't remember but will need to start looking to see if they are a certain year specific?

Sean

Mines a '99

So I did ok putting them straight up you think?

Yes. The cams are ground for that. If we wanted something different we would have done that to begin with lol.

Latest posts

Back