Can I remove my cylinder head to polish?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pittnathan

Reaction score
Just a quick one for you: Is it a simple case of a few alan key bolts and lift the head off? Do I have to replace gaskets or anything or take any special measures?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

No, don't do it. Too many things can go wrong, even if you're experienced. If you must, you'll need a new gasket, decent torque wrench. Maybe a little torch to not snap off the exhaust studs. You'll have to clean the gasket surfaces and remove every speck of gasket material or it'll end up in the engine. Plus think of everything you need to remove first? And, o-rings and gaskets. Not even close to worth the trouble unless your building a show bike. Or have it apart for another reason. Just my H.O.
Steve-o

If you mean the cylinder head covers that's almost doable although still a lot of hassle. If you mean the actual cylinder head then defo no - you don't want to have to remove carbs, intakes, exhaust, and then replace the head gasket and re-torque, plus possibly new head bolts, plus all other gaskets and o-rings. Would be a VERY expensive and time-consuming way to polish!

If you mean the cylinder head covers that's almost doable although still a lot of hassle. If you mean the actual cylinder head then defo no - you don't want to have to remove carbs, intakes, exhaust, and then replace the head gasket and re-torque, plus possibly new head bolts, plus all other gaskets and o-rings. Would be a VERY expensive and time-consuming way to polish!

True G, he might have meant the valve covers. Please clarify. The valve covers, though still a pain with the engine in, are very doable. Next time I have to take them off the engine is coming out too.
Steve

To be honest I'm pretty impatient and this all sounds like it could end in disaster for me and the bike! But just to confirm I'm looking to polish the top of the engine by the spark plugs

You can polish the valve cover with no issue. I reused the rubber gasket because it wasn't cracked...

img4609g.jpg

It's a bitch, I just did it... If your gonna port them you will need a valve job too so factor that in as well. I've got a little over $500 into mine for this part of the project but I did use Cometic head gaskets and ARP studs (I'm going to be spraying) but it's a pretty major job, I just hope my hillbilly port job was worth it... LOL I did also mill the heads .020" too though and used a slightly thinner head gasket so that should help the compression too. If I didn't have Sean Morely helping me out and hooking me up the job would have costed alot more too....

Back