Can I use this as crankcase sealant?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bazwell

Reaction score
I went thru my collection of muck looking for some sort of crankcase sealer. For in-between the 2 crankcase halves.

Can I use this stuff, or do I need to go out and buy something else? :ummm:

Attachments

• 20111002_001.jpg
    20111002_001.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 54
i cant see why not. but use an extreamly thin line of it as the halves will push the sealant out. i just used permatex rtv black. i didnt even cut the opening bigger, as the tiny hole was almost to much. make sure the halves are spotless. good luck.

peace,
evan...

Probably would work...but a tube of Yamabond case sealer is $10 and will last you the rest of your life, hate to find out one it's installed and oiled up that the sealer didn't work.

Just saying $10 might be the price of piece of mind.

Probably would work...but a tube of Yamabond case sealer is $10 and will last you the rest of your life, hate to find out one it's installed and oiled up that the sealer didn't work.

Just saying $10 might be the price of piece of mind.

I'd ask Sean, Dammon, or call PCW. they're the experienced engine builders for the VMAX. My self,I like Yamabond products. Lock tite alsos makes a good case half sealer. It's red and used by a lot of 2 stroke outbooard mechanics. Good stuff. I wouldn't skimp there. Or anywhere after going through that much money and work.
Just my two cents.

That should work fine too though I do use the yamabond as noted.

Thanks for the responses. I did some googling and it seems to be OK, but comes definate second to Yamabond/3-bond. Seeing as how it's now Monday, I'll drop by a place that has Yamaha, Honda and Ducati dealerships. One of them should have it!

Hi folks:

Regarding Yamabond, I seem to recall that there are different number Yamabonds, like Yamabond 5, 6, etc....Am I wrong on this?

And if I'm right, what's "the best" number to use, or are the different numbers for different bonding purposes?

Thanks.

Elimax

The Yamaha dealer I went to didn't have Yamabond, they had 3-bond 1104. It was $22. This is from one of the Australian websites -
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Semi-drying elastomer[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Excellent gap filling ability and LPG resistance[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Inflammable[/FONT]
  • Motorcycle sealant
  • Also known as Yami Bond, Suzuki Bond, Kawasaki Bond
  • Synthetic rubber base takes up large gaps
  • Impervious to petrol, L.P.G. and water
  • Can be used with or without a gasket
  • Can be used to seal oil seals in alloy housings i.e. rear main oil seals, cam and crank shaft seals.
  • Doesn't cure fully, stays tacky
  • Temp Range -60 to 150 degrees C
  • Main use motor cycle crank case
  • Can also be used on rocker covers, sump, petrol pump gaskets
  • Sizes 50g blister pack, 100g tube, 200g tube

Latest posts

Back