Can't get motor to idle

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie2ee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've performed the idle circuit cleaning procedure and have synched the carbs. Throttle response is good. Engine revs up and when the throttle is closed, the engine take 5-6 seconds to come back down to an idle from 5000 RPM. Adjusting the idle screw, I can't get an idle between 1000 and 3000 RPM. Bike seems to run just fine at 4000 RPM and above. Doesn't want to come down when the throttle is closed. I checked all the air tube connections and can't find any signs of leaks. Tried the propane around the carbs and didn't notice any increase in RPM. Motor starts immediately. Adjusted carb idle screws to 2 1/2 turns. Tried 2 turns and 3 turns with no noticeable change.

What do I need to check? 1986 VMax with 28000 miles. Thanks

You need to yank them off and clean the pilot jets unfortunatly, just had to do the same

i agree with the above....the only other thing that usually causes a hanging like that is carb sync betwwen the 1-2 and 3-4 carbs...

cleaning the carbs is not to horrible....follow the stckies in the carb section by naughtyg and dannymax and yull be fine:punk:

Are you sure your throttle cables aren't hanging up?
You can't always tell by the position of the throttle tube on the handlebar, because the cables may be binding internally. You have to look at the carb connection as well.
Cheers!

Thank you guys, I believe that cleaning the carbs is the next best item to cross off the list. Could weak spark possibly cause this problem? I put in new IR plugs but when I cranked the engine I could barely see the spark. I expected a big blue spark. Thanks again for the help.

Either throttle cable hanging or carbs. Most run stock plugs, they're good enough. What color are the plugs? Have you adjusted a/f screws yet? Have you synced the carbs yet? Might help but you'll definitely have to do it once you tear into them.

Clean with good cleaner,compressed air.soak em if you can.don't take any shortcuts like I did cause it is more work doing it twice.be carefull with jet blocks or you'll tear the gaskets.resync em.its not bad if you only do it once

id change them out for a set of stock ngk plugs.hows your airfilter look?

Back