Car delivery cost

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tothemax93

Reaction score
I'm taking a guys car down to Florida Like I've been doing for a few years. He gives me $800.00. That pays for the gas, Plane ticket, etc. I might have an oppertunity to bring a car back for a lady who's husband just died. His funeral is today. I need to think of what to charge her, before she calls. The cost will be basically the same minus the plane ticket. Around $150. I'm thinking charging $650. What I don't know is what the cost would be if it was done by a business. I could be way cheap, but I don't want to gouge the lady either.

I'm taking a guys car down to Florida Like I've been doing for a few years. He gives me $800.00. That pays for the gas, Plane ticket, etc. I might have an oppertunity to bring a car back for a lady who's husband just died. His funeral is today. I need to think of what to charge her, before she calls. The cost will be basically the same minus the plane ticket. Around $150. I'm thinking charging $650. What I don't know is what the cost would be if it was done by a business. I could be way cheap, but I don't want to gouge the lady either.

Nah, flat rate of 800 for her too. Look at the time you are saving her and the arrangements she would have to make to get it transported back. But you might want to give a car transporter a call and check his prices too.

$ 800 - $ 150. = $ 650.

You don't have the overhead , taxes , etc. etc. etc. that a business has to tackle and it's all take home $ for you.

Well I dunno the newly-widowed person's financial status, but I think you are probably ok on your fee as-proposed. Remember that word-of mouth can get you more business, and she could serve as a good referral/reference, too.

I used-to do drive-aways from FL to various northern destinations when I was younger. A cheap way to travel. I used-to hitchhike from wherever I ended-up to my closest friend's home, visit for a few days, and fly home to Miami. That was a long time ago.

The deal has a slight twist now. I talked to the lady on Saturday. She 90. She thought I transported with a truck. When I told her I drove the car, She said, a day before they left for New York last year, the car wouldn't start and they left it like that. It's a 96 Lincoln. She's looking into having someone look at it before I come down on Sat. So I don't know if I'll be bringing it back or not. Could be an adventure. Anyone in or near winterhaven Fl that knows a mechanic:ummm:

Until it was fully-inspected and OK for travel, I wouldn't bother. She probably hasn't done any maintenance on it for years, and it could be a horror story of one breakdown after another. She should have had it towed to the dealer and gone-over, which might have cost her thousands to fix everything that has been neglected, but it appears that this should be a transporter/flatbed car carrier job. Yes, it's more-expensive, but she'll get the car w/o having to worry about it breaking-down on the road. Some carriers probably wouldn't touch a non-running car.

The deal has a slight twist now. I talked to the lady on Saturday. She 90. She thought I transported with a truck. When I told her I drove the car, She said, a day before they left for New York last year, the car wouldn't start and they left it like that. It's a 96 Lincoln. She's looking into having someone look at it before I come down on Sat. So I don't know if I'll be bringing it back or not. Could be an adventure. Anyone in or near winterhaven Fl that knows a mechanic:ummm:

Im about 30 min from winterhaven & I have a mech., but it would have to be towed to S. Lakeland if he is up to it. I'd have to give him a call, but Im with Firemedic it probably should be transported on a car hauler. It might be more expensive than the car is worth.

I just had my first car hauling experience from Florida to AZ. This business is rife with shady practices, false promises, and bad reviews. I got a company that charged $900 door to door, gave me the actual drivers cell number, showed up and did a thorough pre inspection, delivered as promised damage free. It's a cash business and you
pay driver on delivery.

Driving someone's car is a big liability to you but if she gave me a credit card for the trip and if I knew them personally, I might be convinced to do the job.

Last edited:
I just had my first car hauling experience from Florida to AZ. This business is rife with shady practices, false promises, and bad reviews. I got a company that charged $900 door to door, gave Menthe actual drivers cell number, showed up and did a thorough pre inspection, delivered as promised damage free. It's a cash business and you
pay driver on delivery.

Driving someone's car is a big liability to you but if she gave me a credit card for the trip and if I knew them personally, I might be convinced to do the job.

Beware and inverstigate. When my daughter moved to Tx 4 yrs ago, I insited she not drive there alone. We sent a deposit to a dispatch Co. that subs out to Truckers moving cars. After a lot of delays and excuses I paid a relative that was on his way there $200 + expenses. That made up for loosing the deposit and me being the goat for insisteing she not drive.
They still have the deposit, but the bad Karma that goes with ripping my daughter off. If I find a receipt I'll post there name.
Steve

Dont do it way to much risk for you. Unless you have some of the over head that is talked about you would be crazy to put yourself at risk like that. If nothing else you would need your own insurance on the car. No biggy now but if you find yourself in court you will see the big picture. Like i tell my son play the tape forward before you do anything in life. If you do that and listen to your inner adult self you will do ok in life.

Dont do it way to much risk for you. Unless you have some of the over head that is talked about you would be crazy to put yourself at risk like that. If nothing else you would need your own insurance on the car. No biggy now but if you find yourself in court you will see the big picture. Like i tell my son play the tape forward before you do anything in life. If you do that and listen to your inner adult self you will do ok in life.
I like that one Mike, " play the tape forward " I'll have to remember that.

I always play it forward but sometimes my inner child gets the best of me. Like driving truck for a living and riding a vmax. Im not perfect but i do try to play it forward and walk the line as best as i can. Thats another saying to give your kids when they catch you f-ing up after you tell them to play it forward. Trust me sooner or later your kid will catch you.

Back