Carb 3 & 4 mixture screws do nothing

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool, glad it went well.

There is a sticky in carbs that shows the different needles. If they are adjustable needles they are not stock, unless maybe the Canadian ones I think someone mentioned at one time, is that a rumour??

To help you determine if its been "staged"

Stock jetting is;

PAJ 1 90 or 100 depending on where it was bought (Cali. Bikes?) usually 90

Paj 2 170

Mains 152.5 or maybe 150's on a few odd years or Cali. Bikes, usually 152.5

The tiny pilot fuel jet is 37.5

Is Damon on the board here? How do we get in touch with him. I might be interested in his engine teardown video.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Is Damon on the board here? How do we get in touch with him. I might be interested in his engine teardown video.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yes, he just goes by "Damon", doesn't post much but I think he checks in.

That video is awesome, couldn't have done it without him.

Cool, glad it went well.

There is a sticky in carbs that shows the different needles. If they adjustable needles they are stock, unless maybe the Canadian ones I think someone mentioned??

To help you determine if its been "staged"

Stock jetting is;

PAJ 1 90 or 100 depending on where it was bought (Cali. Bikes?) usually 90

Paj 2 170

Mains 152.5 or maybe 150's on a few odd years or Cali. Bikes, usually 152.5

The tiny pilot fuel jet is 37.5
Oh damn I was told stock needles have NO Clip adjustments they have 6 slots to move clip.

Hey Patmax, I have Damon's video and followed it.... He uses the casting marks to align the floats.. I really didn't realize how unreliable this may be... Yes the jet block rubber plugs were replaced. I replaced all the o-rings, gaskets, etc..

So I either have plugged idle circuits in 3 & 4, or the float levels are way off. Can't be much else in my eyes.. Sync could be an issue but I doubt it..

Oh damn I was told stock needles have NO Clip adjustments they have 6 slots to move clip.

Your are right. Stock needles don't have any adjustment.
That was a typo on my part I'm going to fix.
I was just saying that I believe somewhere on the forum someone was claiming some Canadian Vmax's did have them.
I have no idea if that's really true or not.
The jet sizes were just for further evidence of deciding if things had been changed or not on your carbs.

Some people will use just the needle itself too.

The sticky reference will help you determine who made it or if its stage 1 or stage 7 by the profile of the needle.

Thanks rusty. I couldn't find a magnifying glass so I'm not sure What's in there. I will get a glass n try to look tomorrow.

I just did mine today I used k&l kits. I won't be firing her up for a while n it's my first on a vmax I'm hoping she runs good and don't have issues. I have heard that keyster kits aren't to good but I had no choice I used what Kyle sent me. I didn't set floats w gas I was told line up casting marks n all should be fine.
Did you blow everything out super good?

Keyster kits do suck the emulsion tubes are junk and the needle jet sucks. The k&L kit does come with a keyster float needle which i have had no problems with. I think that is about the only thing keyster makes decent. As far as the rest of the k&l kit i have rebuilt hundreds of carbs with them vmax and non vmax and never had a problem. Hell thats what my crappy running stock motor bike running in the 10's has in it

Your are right. Stock needles don't have any adjustment.
That was a typo on my part I'm going to fix.
I was just saying that I believe somewhere on the forum someone was claiming some Canadian Vmax's did have them.
I have no idea if that's really true or not.
The jet sizes were just for further evidence of deciding if things had been changed or not on your carbs.

Some people will use just the needle itself too.

The sticky reference will help you determine who made it or if its stage 1 or stage 7 by the profile of the needle.

It's true....don't know if all of them have adjustable needles but some do.

How do I check if it's a Canadian bike? I'm guessing from the carbs engraved w number 1-4 gaskets were reusable (I replaced em anyway) stainless brake lines,race tech springs I think someone put money into the bike. Carbs were definitely done recently but not sure why they never removed the broken a/f mix screw. I ended up replacing all 4.

How do I check if it's a Canadian bike? I'm guessing from the carbs engraved w number 1-4 gaskets were reusable (I replaced em anyway) stainless brake lines,race tech springs I think someone put money into the bike. Carbs were definitely done recently but not sure why they never removed the broken a/f mix screw. I ended up replacing all 4.

I'm not sure if the serial number has a code for Canadian codes or not....VMax Outlaw has a serial number breakdown, take a look there.

OEM needles are kinda fat with a non-aggressive taper where stg. 7 ones are slim and taper down quickly.

Danny. I went to the vmax outlaw page and according to the guide the letter E means USA bike. :)

It's pretty hard to nail anything like that down with guys switching and swapping carb parts all the time.

Find a pic of a stg 7 needle and compare it to yours, also...what jets are in it?

I can 100% confirm that Canadian bikes had adjustable factory needles. My 85 and 3 other friends bikes all had adjustable needls from a variety of years.

My latest 97 Max is a US import that had no adjustable needles and after a few tries with Dyna stage 1, I ended up with stage 7 needles. My carbs have the same problem with reduced sensitivity to idle mix screw in 2 and 4 cylinder even after several cleanings and carb swithouts. I wonder if using a kickstand due to 4-1 Kerker can affect the carb settings at idle?

I can 100% confirm that Canadian bikes had adjustable factory needles. My 85 and 3 other friends bikes all had adjustable needls from a variety of years.

My latest 97 Max is a US import that had no adjustable needles and after a few tries with Dyna stage 1, I ended up with stage 7 needles. My carbs have the same problem with reduced sensitivity to idle mix screw in 2 and 4 cylinder even after several cleanings and carb swithouts. I wonder if using a kickstand due to 4-1 Kerker can affect the carb settings at idle?

lol im sure its the stand hahahaha

how open are the butterflies??? if your off the idle circuit then for sure the screws wont affect them as much......ive had a bike set up way off on sync but ran great....... so could be something there thats also adding to the non effect of the air screws......also any carb boot leaking air....... you be surprised what people get use too riding......

The stand issue was in reference to the angle of the bike..IE not level from side to side. I was wondering if that could have float level and other effects. Not meant to derail the thread.

oh thought you were cracking a joke..... when i set mine on the kerker bike i just put a few chunks of wood under the side stand and get it level and all is good.

Why did someone have to hijack my thread talking about needles? This thread has nothing do with needles. Couldn't he have started a new thread?

Relax man. I didn't think it was a problem seeing it's a Carb issue. Seeing we are all waiting to find out what your issue was w your carbs. If you like I will remove my question. I wasn't trying to hyjack but that's why there so many dead threads instead of keeping all same issues on the same thread. It's a big forum Sorry I stepped on your turf!!!.

Oops!:biglaugh:

Sorry man, I think I contributed to that:biglaugh:

I think it's just collective ADD and the forum following a normal "flow" of conversation.....

Then again we do have a Thread Hijacker Award:rofl_200:

Back