Carb Dip Question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a can of carb dip from NAPA. Never used it before. Will it ruin plastic? The plastic piece that the float drain tubes connect to are still in the body. I also noticed some plastic washers on the throttle shafts under the E-clips. Do these plastic parts need removed to dip?

One of these days I'm gonna learn to be more organized. Hopefully before my hearing goes. I heard somthing fall off the bench. For some reason I was convinced the sound was made by a spring. Sure enough after 10 mins of searching, I found a spring for the coasting enrichener on the floor.

The AF screw o rings were crusted in there. They didn't want to come out so I had to improvise. I bent a tiny 90 degree hook on the plastic straw from a can of brake clean. Surprisingly, it yanked em right out

The carb dip that Ive used (I think it was B-9)...very strong stuff, wouldnt eat plastic...but certainly would make it soft.

What about dipping with pinesol? I haven't try it yet but it seems a pretty good option. I even think it shouldn't eat any rubber.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I've used the one gallon can of Berrymans B-whatever for years. Always stripping the carbs down reasonably as possible.

I've never removed the washers or drain thingie you mention and have never had issues.

Berrymans will destroy rubber and rubber like materials in short order. I don't think it's too hard on nylon and hard plastic.

I've used the Napa stuff, but never tried it on the Vmax carbs. It works pretty good on lawnmower carbs, and didn't seem to bother the plastic pickup tube on the carb I was cleaning.

I'm thinking about buying a can of carb dip from NAPA. Never used it before. Will it ruin plastic? The plastic piece that the float drain tubes connect to are still in the body. I also noticed some plastic washers on the throttle shafts under the E-clips. Do these plastic parts need removed to dip?

One of these days I'm gonna learn to be more organized. Hopefully before my hearing goes. I heard somthing fall off the bench. For some reason I was convinced the sound was made by a spring. Sure enough after 10 mins of searching, I found a spring for the coasting enrichener on the floor.

The AF screw o rings were crusted in there. They didn't want to come out so I had to improvise. I bent a tiny 90 degree hook on the plastic straw from a can of brake clean. Surprisingly, it yanked em right out

The carb dip probly won't hurt the plastic drain elbows or neoprene washers Mike, but fer sure will eat up your throttle shaft seals....I would strongly advise against submersing anything other then the hard parts....jets, tubes, jet blocks, enrichener hsg., etc

Nothing wrong with just the "Tech" carb spray from Walmart followed up by a compressor/air gun.

The carb dip probly won't hurt the plastic drain elbows or neoprene washers Mike, but fer sure will eat up your throttle shaft seals....I would strongly advise against submersing anything other then the hard parts....jets, tubes, jet blocks, enrichener hsg., etc

I wouldn't have thought of those little seals. Thanks Dan.

I use a spray (prefer Gumout), Gunk dip and a 'green' degreaser bath.

Tried Pinesol and it didn't do a damn thing, lemon, not pine flavored but wouldn't think there would be any diff....:confused2:

i like the dip for all the removable parts, then soda blasting for the bodies. too much crap to remove in a lot of carbs otherwise. dip in water to remove the soda then let dry then clean out liberally with the carb cleaner spray.

Back