Carb experts advice

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98Redlne

Reaction score
Long story short: Bike has been stored wet for the last year (seafoam and StaBil with fresh gas).

When started, the bike starts and will idle on the choke as long as I keep the RPM above about 1500. Below that, it stalls out.
Regardless of the choke setting or RPM if I so much as touch the throttle, the engine dies.
The exhaust does not seem overly rich or wet like if it had a stuck float.
Tried letting it fully warm up: no change

Did a full shotgun on the carbs about 3 weeks ago, for the same issue. After the shotgun, the problem seemed to be gone and showed normal throttle response.

Started it up today and the issue is back, just as if I never had done it.

I am moving in 2 days and don't really have time to mess around with guesses and half measures. Any of you carb experts have some sage advise to get Mr. Max back and running, even if it is poorly. All I need is to get it 6 miles to my new house. After that I can tear into things and correctly remedy the issue.

Thanks in advance!

Shotgun it again and if that dosent work to get it to the new house, try getting it there with the choke on.

I will try it again, however no dice on riding it with the choke on. As soon as I touch the throttle, the engine dies. It would be quite the undertaking to try and ride it using the choke for a throttle.

I'd go to the shop where they know you and ask if someone wants to earn $30 for throwing your bike into a pickup and hauling it to your new home. There's always someone w/a trailer or a pickup who can earn $30 for a half hours work.

I have a U-Haul trailer rented for some other stuff. I might just see if I can strap the bike down inside of it and haul it instead of ride it. Sort of a PITA but less than having to do a shotgun procedure in the middle of a move.

A can of "START YOUR ENGINE" is worth a shot. Joe Lorio (God bless him) turned me on to the stuff years ago. I've used it in small engines that wouldn't run without the choke with great success. It eats through the crud and fast. Of course, a pick up truck leaves no doubt you'll get there quick.

So a second round of the shotgun and I managed to get the bike running, although it runs like crap.

A fresh tank of gas made no difference, so I guess I can rule out bad gas.

Here are the symptoms:

- Will not idle without the choke on (>50%) or below about 1500 RPM
- Above 1500, choke on, idle seems normal (no missing or backfiring)
- If the throttle is twisted the engine will die
- If the throttle is quickly twisted, released, and immediagely twisted again, the engine will rev
- When riding, the engine is short on power and seems to be missing

I am going to try and sync the carbs and re-adjust the idle mixture screws

Any other suggestions?

So a second round of the shotgun and I managed to get the bike running, although it runs like crap.

A fresh tank of gas made no difference, so I guess I can rule out bad gas.

Here are the symptoms:

- Will not idle without the choke on (>50%) or below about 1500 RPM
- Above 1500, choke on, idle seems normal (no missing or backfiring)
- If the throttle is twisted the engine will die
- If the throttle is quickly twisted, released, and immediagely twisted again, the engine will rev
- When riding, the engine is short on power and seems to be missing

I am going to try and sync the carbs and re-adjust the idle mixture screws

Any other suggestions?
Read your plugs first-touch your cylinder heads to see if one is getting warm late,
You may get it closer by syncing at the 1500rpm that you say is stable but if you are having to keep the choke on more than likely you have an pilot air jet stopped up and the carbs will have to be taken apart to get to it.
If the shotgun helped a little to get it started it is probably a stubborn paj.

Thanks for the advice. I was hoping to avoid having to do a complete carb tear down.

Being that it is a 2007 and has never had that done, I guess I can't complain too much at this point.

Just ask Danny max how bad my carbs were.....and mine are from an 07...

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Dam Ethanol is a disaster for carbs, filters, and fuel components. It is a marina's best money maker. They sell it to customers for top dollar, then get paid to repair the issues it causes. A real circle of shit. Our best defense is to burn it quick and stabilize it if forced to leave it in our tank for more than weeks.
Store long term with leaded fuel. You can buy it in small engine shops by the can. It's got 2 cycle oil mixed in but should be fine for storage. That's unless you're lucky enough to find it at the pump.

Glad you mentioned that Steve-o....I found out the other day that the Stewarts Shops....a pretty good sized chain located in east central NY have some stores with non-ethanol 91 Octane....they plan to eventually have all their stores with E-free 91 Octane.

It's written on the pumps whether or not it's E-free.

I think in Missouri, marinas were never mandated to have the e10 crap. For sure, the fuel they did sell was nearly a dollar per gallon more than the rest of the area.

Back