carb issues from the day i bought the bike new

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxumus

Reaction score
this my first post and already bitching. well here goes. back in 2008 i bought my bike brand new .right off i had like a intake back fire and throttle response is sluggish. take in the bike and the shop tells me carb needs rebuilt .brand new bike go figure .they so says did the work. bike still has same issue .so i think they did not do it at all and i should have taken to another shop which i didnt . so this past weekend i decided to trade it in the bike only has 1983 miles on it. they dealer test drives it and comes back and tells me it needs carbs rebuilt and it might need a fuel pump . they were only going to give me 4000. for the bike.naaaaaaaaa. i left .so it bothers me that i got this bike thats brand new that runs like crap. it idles, but roll the throttle it is not smooth and it has intake missfire. so guess what i joined this forum to seek HELP. i really want to fix the bike now .if anyone on here lives in houston area that knows a good shop that can work on a carb bike let me know.well enough rant.

Look up the carb rebuild threads. Clean the pilot fuel jets (under the small rubber plugs in the jet blocks) and set the float levels. Should be good to go after that. I suspect you'll keep it when it's running well!

Sean

yup what he said ^^^....the bike prolly sat at the dealers with old gas in it....

if you can do it yerself.....do it!! that way you will know fer shure ist been done correctly.

its not a bad job if you are mechanically inclined.

several folks here will rebuild em for ya if needed...but its expensive....300 to 400 bux.

id fix em up 4 ya if you was my neighbor:biglaugh:

thanks for the advise . if i can figure out where everything is i will attempt the pliots cleaning and settin the floats.

You can send them to me and I can do it but it's not a bad job and you'll save money not having to pay me. Feel free to email me or call and I can talk you through it.

Sean
316-619-8411
[email protected]

I'll give ya 4500 for it :)

As noted, very good chance the pilot jets are plugged up. Remove carbs, split the rack in half, remove the jet block in the float bowl and unscrew the two jets inside the block. They tend to get blocked solid if the bike is sitting for a long time......like 2 years on the showroom floor.

well i went to the yamaha shop today and bought a fuel filter. they had 2012 vmax on the floor . all i can say is wow. that is one awsome machine. as soon as i pay my gt500 off i will own one.but i the mean time i need to fix the one i have.

Send me the carbs (in the seat of the GT500 along with the title) and i'll fix them.

Sean

I think I can drive a stick shift. My 95 Camaro with 383 and Procharger is a 6 speed. Most of the other cars we have are also standards.

is the camaro race car or everyday driver? i have been thinking about putting a paxton on my boss302.

It's not daily by any means but can drive anywhere you want. I need to recharge the AC and other then the noise from the exhaust and blower you can't tell it's not stock. I have to decide what direction I am going to go with it next. The engine and trans are capable but the rearend and rest of the chassis is not.

Best time I have got so far was 12.77 @ 115 with a 2.30 60' time. It flat doesn't hook up. If I put slicks on it would probably destruct the diff but it should make a 10 second pass that way.

Pics of it and more of our cars are on the facebook and our old morleys muscle website (we have a lot of musclecars). I think you'd like the procharger if you chose that direction. The instant power is very fun!

2 Shelby's??? Sean, we need to go see this guy and get him goin!! Then we can leave with one of the Shelby's! If the bike's runnin good enough, he'll never notice we took a Shelby!! I'll meet you there!

It's not daily by any means but can drive anywhere you want. I need to recharge the AC and other then the noise from the exhaust and blower you can't tell it's not stock. I have to decide what direction I am going to go with it next. The engine and trans are capable but the rearend and rest of the chassis is not.

Best time I have got so far was 12.77 @ 115 with a 2.30 60' time. It flat doesn't hook up. If I put slicks on it would probably destruct the diff but it should make a 10 second pass that way.

Pics of it and more of our cars are on the facebook and our old morleys muscle website (we have a lot of musclecars). I think you'd like the procharger if you chose that direction. The instant power is very fun!
yeah i had a 97 ws6 formula and the weak link on that car was the rear end. it was not a sc car . its amazing how power can find the weakness on a car.

2 Shelby's??? Sean, we need to go see this guy and get him goin!! Then we can leave with one of the Shelby's! If the bike's runnin good enough, he'll never notice we took a Shelby!! I'll meet you there!
lol right now the way the bike is take it too.

lol right now the way the bike is take it too.

Back