Carb problems

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicki66

Reaction score
I was setting my A/F screws and when I was adjusting the #1 cylinder, I noticed that there was not any change in the engine. I can turn the A?F screw all the way in an the bile runs the same.
I did try the peashooter and the shotgun cleaning methods on this and the results are the same. I am clueless on what to do next.

Check and make sure boots are tight and in good shape. Have you adjusted this carb before and if so did it adjust as expected? What rpm is your idle set to?

I noticed the same thing last weekend. I have set mine to 3.25 turns out for now, planned to check the plugs this weekend to see if I am close enough. It would be nice to know what the deal is though.

When I attempted to adjust my AF screws that way I got exactly the same result - it didn't matter how far in or out any of the 4 were - no change.

I ended up setting them all to 2 3/4 turns out - it ran best this way.

I believe the ONLY way to set them properly is by using an exhaust sniffer giving the actual reading of the Air/Fuel ratio.

I'll jump on this bandwagon too.......I also have the #1 cylinder not responding to A/F screw inputs. But I did make progress because my #3 cylinder also was not responding before I did the S/G and PeeShoot procedures.

I just suspect both were slightly plugged and I was able to clear one. But I don't know how to get the last one clear without sending something physical down the passage such as a copper or brass strand of wire.

What's your guys thoughts??

also watching mine be tuned at the dyno, the engine didn't 'sound' much different when adjusting one a/f screw but it definitely reacted on the sniffer

Okay so I checked the my plugs and they are brownish with some grey. All the same. So I am pretty sure I am right. But I wouldn't mind alittle more brown, but I can't remember if turning the screws in or out makes it richer. Any help please.

Thank you, I am glad I asked because I was think the exact opposite, but had a bad feeling about it.

Latest posts

Back