Carb spitting fuel

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncdoc0623414

Reaction score
i recently bought a 95 vmax and am having some issues. ok if im sitting on the bike with the tank/cover off, the carb on the right that is closest to me is spitting fuel out of what appears to be a vent tube. i put my thumb over it and i noticed fuel coming from the bottom of my k&n filter bike still runs not realy responsive though but will go as fast as ive dared to go thus far. ive only owned the bike for a few weeks. also the bike will not sit at idle without the aid of the choke. are these to issues connected? this bike has 30k miles on it and other than what was done when the k&n stack type filters were installed im not aware of any history of the bike. also what do you guys usually get out of a tank of fuel in terms of mileage

been getting around 100-105 miles before the light comes on.

look up pea-shooter and shot gun on the forum in the carb section, methods of cleaning out the circuits, should do that, and a carb sync to start off and see where you stand after that. they are real easy to do.

With a bit of luck one of your carb float chamber drain screws is simply loose. You should remove all 4 of them to check them, and collect the drained fuel in a clear or white pot to check what comes out of the float chambers. If you find any dirt, or especially a fine brown dust, then take a strong light and have a good look inside your fuel tank.

Do you see ANY rust whatsoever? If you do, there's your problem, and it's a bitch as you will have to either replace your tank or treat it for rust, and also remove and cleanup your all fuel hoses, replace the fuel filter, remove and clean the fuel pump, and remove and clean your carbs thoroughly.

All the info to do all of this is here on the site, with quite a few detailed "how to" threads with picture. Just use the search engine to find everything you need.

The other guys have really given you the low down on what you need to do to insure a fix. Ethanol in our gas really did a number on the VMax's fuel system. I have 2 and had to go through the entire fuel system on both to make them run right. I now use Non Ethanol fuel and haven't got any more problems. Non Ethanol is available all over the country. There are sites that list stations if you are interested.

http://www.buyrealgas.com/

http://pure-gas.org/

When you say vent hose are you talking one of the ones that go up on top of the air box or one of the ones that stick out just below the carbs.

The other guys have really given you the low down on what you need to do to insure a fix. Ethanol in our gas really did a number on the VMax's fuel system. I have 2 and had to go through the entire fuel system on both to make them run right. I now use Non Ethanol fuel and haven't got any more problems. Non Ethanol is available all over the country. There are sites that list stations if you are interested.

Been to several of those listed , and so far , none are currently carrying any within 50 miles .

I think you have a stuck needle or worn needle and seat which has to be replaced. With that much fuel draining over into the cylinder chamber you are probably washing away lubrication to cylinder walls that will cause piston rings to wear out quickly, or score the cylinder walls. I would get it to a bike shop or someone who is familiar with Vmaxes to look at the problem before your engine is damaged. Its probably not idling because of improper fuel mixture to that cylinder or plug has fouled from the flooding issue of carburator.

If it's the top vent tube on air box then it's a stuck needle valve. Take that carb apart and blow compressed air (60+ PSI) into the fuel inlet. This will clean the small net out. Inspect/clean needle inlet valve.

thank you guys for the info. my bike had the airbox removed when the k&n stacks were installed. but its leaking from a vent tube that is on the top of the carb toward the center. i plan to tear into the carb this coming weekend when im off from work again. as for a shop the mechanics around here who work at them are shady and i blame them for the destruction of my gs650. im not so experienced with motorcycles but i know my way around a tool set. i talked with a friend today who is a jet ski mechanic and he also thinks that its a stuck or damaged needle valve and thinks he might have one. thanks again and i will keep ya posted. if any of you guys wanna email me a decent manual for the carbs that would be awesome the haynes manual isnt very intuitive id like to see a bit more b4 i get into this.

either im dense or that didnt answer my question. it wont idle on its own even after an hour of riding, would be nice to be able to move my hand to dig in my bags or something without the bike stalling. is the idle simply set to low?

There's a bunch of easy fixes that sometimes work....but Vmax carbs left to sit ALWAYS go bad......I've had it happen on my bike a few times when I've spent too much time out of town......

Will not idle without choke = Your idle circuit is plugged somewhere

Fuel coming out of the TOP vent tube = stuck float

Do yourself a favor and rebuild 'em, the easy fixes are sometimes only temporary.

Start by buying a whole gallon can of Berrymans so you can soak the carb bodies.

I doubt you'll need any parts to rebuild the carbs=usually the o-rings survive pretty well, and the float needle and seat is usually just dirty...Rebuilding Vmax carbs is usually just a clean up job and setting the float level right...

There's a bunch of easy fixes that sometimes work....but Vmax carbs left to sit ALWAYS go bad......I've had it happen on my bike a few times when I've spent too much time out of town......

Will not idle without choke = Your idle circuit is plugged somewhere

Fuel coming out of the TOP vent tube = stuck float

Do yourself a favor and rebuild 'em, the easy fixes are sometimes only temporary.

Start by buying a whole gallon can of Berrymans so you can soak the carb bodies.

I doubt you'll need any parts to rebuild the carbs=usually the o-rings survive pretty well, and the float needle and seat is usually just dirty...Rebuilding Vmax carbs is usually just a clean up job and setting the float level right...
where do they sell berrymans in the southwest united states ive never shopped for that particular item

where do they sell berrymans in the southwest united states ive never shopped for that particular item

I think it's called berrymans B-12, they sell a spray, which is handy for blowing out orifices, and a one gallon can with a tray inside of it for soaking parts. Any auto parts store should have it. I usually go to Orielly's.

The one gallon can can last several years if you pre-clean the gunk off the carbs before you soak 'em so all that gunk doesn't unnecassarily end up in the can.

Don't soak any rubber parts, it's not real good for them. It can swell the diaphragms where you can't get the slide covers back on till the swelling goes away...

Don't get that spray in your eyes, it hurts like a motherfucker :biglaugh:

When you spray the orifices it may come out some un-expected place so be careful, and take them outside so you don't get it on any plastics, it'll fuck 'em up too. I got some on my instrument cluster and it still shows.

+2...hurts like a bitch....Honda's is the worst. I now wear safety glasses for carb work.

Dave,
Is something wrong with the map? Or is it accurate?? Florida is the ONLY place listing locations in all of North America..........

Edit: That was the first link. Second one lists more places but sadly none near me in MA or CT.......

First map takes a bit for the pointers to pop up. New England States must be part of California...:rofl_200: There's No Non Ethanol there either.....

OMG, There is, Cali has 3 stations...

Back