Carb woes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bagherra

Reaction score
The Max is riding like crap right now. Huge surging between 2K-4K and it wants to bog off idle.

I've tried working the idle mixture screws and they don't seem to help. If I lean them out a little the surging is crazy. If I richen them then the bog gets worse and it still surges.

What's wierd is lately it seems to be getting worse. Starting to wonder if the weather (hot + humid) has something to do with it. It's not getting too hot around town though.

I plan on giving it a once over this weekend. Shotgun...the works. I have a Mark's exhaust and Sean's Jet kit with 157.5. Is there anything I should be looking at? The bike was running great during winter and just after (50s). It seems to run more like crap the higher the temp goes.

Sorry if I'm rambling right now...it was pretty frustrating. I wanted to drive it off a cliff (without me on it :)).

If problems are in 2-4k idle screws will not do anything. Again I think it's the pilot jets that are clogged. Must take out jet blocks and blow them out with carb cleaner. Then once reassembled do a sync.

Agreed, probably clogged pilot jets. Use a thin wire (like piano, guitar, or weld tip cleaner) to clean it out and some cleaner as noted. Reassemble and should be good to go again. Had to do this 3 times on my own bike in a matter of a week (had old fuel in the tank).

Sean

if you're running fat at all during normal weather it will show worse now if ur getting the heat/humidity we are here in the North East

Agreed on the pilot jets.

You may also be suffering a change in the gas you're buying if your area switched over from a winter mix to a summer time formula. Also, STAY AWAY FROM ETHANOL if at all possible.

Fueling up with 100% dinosaur gas after running months with ethanol is like getting a complete tune up. (Missouri -vs- Arkansas)

Hey guys,
I cleaned it really good. Gave it a shotgun and repeated 3x with cleaner-air-cleaner-etc. I took the pilot jets out, cleaned, and put back. Gave it a synch and fired it up. Mixture screws are all set at 2.5

Off idle is a lot better and is running smoother. I still am getting the slight lean pop hesitation between 4-5K though. Ever since the Summer started I've had that and no matter what I've tried so far it hasn't gone away. I've checked the exhaust, carb to airbox connection, and just about anything else for potential air leaks. Everything checks out good. I put in some SeaFoam for good measure.

I'm waiting for some shims from Sean...I'm hoping that will take care of it. I don't know if this makes a difference, my PAJ2s are 170 right now.

I appreciated your help!

Latest posts

Back