Carbon monoxide and emissions test

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elimax

Reaction score
Hi all:

I hope everyone is doing well...I and my VMax ( and of course my excellent wife) are happy here in AZ.

I have a question about a 1994 Honda CB1000 I'm working on (it's a pretty brutish bike, akin sorta to VMax specs)....

I took her in for an emissions test at an AZ DMV inspection center today, and she FAILED because her carbon monoxide emissions were above the legal limit...WTF???

The only motor work I've done is to adjust the valves to make sure they were within spec, sync the carbs, put in bigger pilot jets, and install an aftermarket 4-1 exhaust system from Barracuda in Germany.

How the heck can I bring my carbon monoxide emissions down?

Thanks for the help, and keep the safe side up!

Elimax

There are states that have emissions for bikes that are not California? Weird...

Any exhaust changes, jet changes, vacuum leaks, etc will change emission output. The bigger jets and aftermarket exhaust is probably what's failing you...

can u put the exhaust back to stock? get it inspected then put the new one back on?

I suspect that it is the changes to the fuelling that has caused the higher CO reading.
A tin of the fuel additive wont hurt but probably won't be the miracle cure you are looking for.
Make sure that the fuelling is achieving the required CO level by getting some dyno time; they should be able to tune the bike to get through the test and also advise what is the optimal jetting.

I'd try to jet the bike as lean as possible and take it in for the test. Then put it back to normal jetting once it passes.

Back