Cataracts

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Seward

Reaction score
My vision has been getting progressively worse over the past few years, so I went to the eye doctor back in February to get an exam and new glasses. He took one look into my eyes and stated that he wasn't able to correct my vision due to a bad cataract in my left eye and a really bad one in my right eye. I was seeing double in the left one, and triple in the right. My vision was 20/600 in the right, and 20/200 in the left. He said that the only way to fix the problem was to get cataract surgery in both eyes. Scary!
I made an appointment with an eye surgeon and he told me the same thing. I was petrified to get the surgery, but had the right eye done in early March. There was no reason to be nervous, as the surgery was a 5 minute job, done while I was awake and lightly sedated.
The healing process was simple. I was doing eye drops for a few weeks, and the improvement in my vision was astounding. I had the left eye done early April, and just finished the last of the eye drops today. For the first time in almost 70 years, I don't need glasses for distance. My depth perception is more noticeable than I can remember it ever being. I got monofocal lenses set for distance, so I need reading glasses for close up stuff. Next Thursday I have an appointment for the final eye exam, and we will see if distance correction is needed. I don't mind glasses, and if we can improve my distance vision, I will get them. If not, I will get bifocals with the top of the lenses uncorrected to be used as eye protection when I ride.
If you are considering the surgery and are nervous about it, it honestly was a painless piece of cake.

My vision has been getting progressively worse over the past few years, so I went to the eye doctor back in February to get an exam and new glasses. He took one look into my eyes and stated that he wasn't able to correct my vision due to a bad cataract in my left eye and a really bad one in my right eye. I was seeing double in the left one, and triple in the right. My vision was 20/600 in the right, and 20/200 in the left. He said that the only way to fix the problem was to get cataract surgery in both eyes. Scary!
I made an appointment with an eye surgeon and he told me the same thing. I was petrified to get the surgery, but had the right eye done in early March. There was no reason to be nervous, as the surgery was a 5 minute job, done while I was awake and lightly sedated.
The healing process was simple. I was doing eye drops for a few weeks, and the improvement in my vision was astounding. I had the left eye done early April, and just finished the last of the eye drops today. For the first time in almost 70 years, I don't need glasses for distance. My depth perception is more noticeable than I can remember it ever being. I got monofocal lenses set for distance, so I need reading glasses for close up stuff. Next Thursday I have an appointment for the final eye exam, and we will see if distance correction is needed. I don't mind glasses, and if we can improve my distance vision, I will get them. If not, I will get bifocals with the top of the lenses uncorrected to be used as eye protection when I ride.
If you are considering the surgery and are nervous about it, it honestly was a painless piece of cake.
Man! I started out reading your post taking short breaths, reading fast, dreading the potential outcome.
As I progressed I felt almost a cheer inside, you overcoming the fear of the surgery was kinda like watching Rocky Balboa fight.
Each step of the improvements was bringing on goose bumps!
This post makes me really thankful of my senses and is a hell of a reminder of just how much I take for granted.

The main event cheers were reading your plans for what you will wear when you RIDE!!!!
Thanks for the post Bill Seward!

I had lasic done and was also nervous. Thankfully I only needed one eye corrected and it's held up for close to 20 years now. As I get older I am nearing the point of needing glasses but i can still safely pass the drivers vision test so not quite yet. I do notice a loss in flexibity of the lens where the transition from near to far (looking down at my phone or computer then looking up to see distance) takes a few moments to adjust.

My mom had lenses replaced maybe 10 years ago and loved the results too.

We ony have one pair of eyes and no way to replace them with the current tech so that is very very scary. Thankfully we're not at the forefront of those simple surgeries. But, someone had to be bold enough to take that first leap and i'm grateful.

Thank goodness the reports from members are positive!

One of the things we need to do is protect what we have. Wear a welding helmet, or goggles if it's brazing. If you're using a side grinder or even something as-small as a Dremel cut-off disc, wear a full-face shield! I have two full face shields in the garage, so one is at easy arm's length, somewhere in there. Protect what you have for vision.

I am very happy to learn that your cataract operation was successful and greatly enhanced your sight. It is quite remarkable how much it can change things. Cataracts can greatly reduce the quality of your life, so it is wonderful that you had them taken out. Thanks for sharing your positive experience, @Bill Seward! Good thing my vision is still good. I wear glasses, but my vision is still good. I take care of my eyes because I was terrified of eye surgery, but not so much anymore.

Back