Charging issues

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowrider

Reaction score
I need help with what to do next. My bike is only charging 13.05 volts even at 5000 rpms and I have replaced the battery,rectifier and the stator. I am about ready to set the bike on fire, any advice would be appreciated!

It would help if you indicated what year you bike was. The later Maxii had a separate earth wire from the r/r and is a worthwhile addition.
Also check all of the earths with a multi meter and clean where necessary.
If not done then 'Doing the splice' can help.
I agree with Mark that working through the system in a logical manner is most likely to identify the problem

Attachments

• Splice Fix.pdf
    260.2 KB · Views: 2
Has anybody tried electric conductivity paste? Of course it's useless if the connector is charred but maybe prolonging the connector life. Possibly, maybe?

Has anybody tried electric conductivity paste? Of course it's useless if the connector is charred but maybe prolonging the connector life. Possibly, maybe?
I use dielectric grease in all my connections when I am working on one. It seems nobody pays attention to connectors on bikes and then blame it on the bike when something happens.

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/w...tric grease?,and doesn't conduct electricity.
It helps to stop corrosion, and it lubricates the o-rings in weather-resistant electrical connectors. I use a schmear now and again on electrical connections, it seems to help prevent oxidation on the conductors. Remember that the conductors have to be physically in-contact to do what they're supposed to do on low-voltage systems like cars & bikes. It won't 'improve conductivity' on loose connectors.

Dielectric grease is not conductive at all. In fact it is an insulator. Misconception that it aids in conductivity. Now, if you are looking for something that will help with electrical connections and connectivity, Stabilant 22A is what I use. This stuff......is expensive. $120 and can be found slightly cheaper.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ECHCE1
A side note about dielectric grease.....some cheaper ones will actually weaken and damage the plastic electrical connector. Several lawsuits against GM for their recall regarding the Malibu's brake light recall. The wrong dielectric grease softened the connector so much that various electrical systems from the Body Control Module were no longer making contact, including the rear brake lights, and causing accidents. GM, for their connectors, have a specialized dielectric grease that is known to GM to be safe for plastic electrical connectors. Their dielectric grease does physically look different that the tube grease you would normally buy.

That bulletin is here, https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2014/RCRIT-14V252-3751P.pdf

I was talking about conductivity paste.
Isnt this mostly for heat sinks? I dont know the extent of what its used for, but every time I have used it, its been used for heat sinks and ignition modules for the dissipation of heat. For electrical connectivity, the Stabilant 22A is the right tool for the job regarding pin connection connectivity.

I've mostly used aviation products since I have a pipeline for that. Their requirements are high so that line of products is very dependable. There's lots of similar products available in other lines of industries.

You are talking about heat conductivity paste. I'm talking about electric conductivity.

Last edited:
I've mostly used aviation products since I have a pipeline for that. Their requirements are high so that line of products is very dependable. There's lots of similar products available in other lines of industries.
Interesting. Is anything you get available to the civilian market? I am always looking for way to better electrical connections of things. I would like to research what you use.

Go to your local civil aviation clubs and airfields. A mechanic might hook you up with local products. It will not be cheap so do your calculations what is better bang for your buck.

If you use conductivity paste in connectors you're creating paths for shorts between the pins. You definitely want to stick to dielectric grease. If your connections are still bad your best solution is new pins.

Source: have a wiring harness manufacturing division at work.

How many of us grew up when a 4-wheel tune-up was plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, condenser, a fuel filter, an air cleaner, an oil filter and 5 quarts of Valvoline? Then you remember using all-purpose grease on the battery terminals to stop/impede corrosion, and the visual wonder of a quart of water and a couple tablespoons of sodium bicarbonate, if it didn't?

I need help with what to do next. My bike is only charging 13.05 volts even at 5000 rpms and I have replaced the battery,rectifier and the stator. I am about ready to set the bike on fire, any advice would be appreciated!
did you find the problem to your battery, I'm dealing with same problem now.

Back