Cheap Blasting Solution??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've already got the blasting cabinet. Just put baking soda on the shopping list for the next trip to Cosco. :clapping:

Have been using aluminum and glass bead so far for other parts. I assume the soda is another level or two "softer" than bead. Clean carb bodies coming soon. :punk:

Glad it's useful.....:eusa_dance:

I saw a demonstration a few years ago of a baking soda blast system.......

In the demonstration they blasted the paint off a Coke can.......left perfectly shiny aluminum behind......no dents or other damage......

If I remember correctly a film of baking soda will protect from corrosion as well........

The soda blasting option is great for engines where available. It will even polish as it strips.

Sean

Where I work we bring in a sub. to soda blast caked up bottom paint off of boats. The guy hit the metal supports for the swim platform and they looked like they were sanded with 400 sandpaper. My first thought was my engine. It's a clean and easy cleanup operation.
Steve

According to one of my tool catalogs baking soda is NOT reusable because it "reduces to dust" after use (already seems like dust to me). Is this right? Use it once and then offer it to the neighbors to freshen thier refrigerators after only one use?? Just wondering.

I bought the soda and am getting ready to try for the first time on some carbs........

So this will be the third time I'm cleaning these carbs (due to other issues) off of an '89 Hawk GT and this little blaster has worked awesome each time.

http://www.harborfreight.com/gravity-feed-blaster-gun-93221.html

This past time there was rust in the tank and the powder got everywhere in the carbs..
31112d1345488070-local-ultrasonic-cleaner-imag0666.jpg

31113d1345488073-local-ultrasonic-cleaner-imag0667.jpg

I did some initial cleaning by hand, because I didn't have a chance to get everything out to blast (mostly using a dremel brass brush):

31116d1345488164-local-ultrasonic-cleaner-before3.jpg

31115d1345488163-local-ultrasonic-cleaner-before.jpg

what I should have done is just waited. this was like literally 3 minutes of blasting and less than 50 cents of soda.

31114d1345488162-local-ultrasonic-cleaner-after.jpg

yup. i dismanteled but didn't split the rack so there was rubber parts in the shaft seals but they were fine. i blasted them, let 'em sit for a minute blasted again, got soda thru all the openings then dipped in warm water twice. let them sit in the sun then blew air thru everything, then carb cleaner then air again. seemed to work well!

Baking soda is very good for things like that.

Corn cob is great if you have a tumbler. Just toss small brass and aluminum pieces in, drop a little blue polishing liquid and a few dryer sheets and let them tumble for 3 hours and they will look better then new!

I use it all the time for small brass items and of course when reloading shells.

Todd

You can use the bicarbonate of soda for chrome parts, even knarly ones. You will be surprised w/your results. Because the media itself is small, it gets into smaller areas and does a good job of scouring w/o hurting the metal. I usually buy the 13 lb Costco Arm & Hammer boxes, 4 or 5 at a time, and it lasts pretty-well. Be prepared for a messy work area. You also need a respirator not just a surgical mask. Buy yourself some extra cartridges for the respirator.

I did a Kerker 4/1 for the 'Max, and compared to what I started with, it worked very well. I have seen descriptions of the siphon gun but chose to use a Harbor Freight cheapie gravity-feed hopper gun instead, I got one on-sale for < $10. It looks kind-of like a 1950's 'outer-space ray gun.' Relive your childhood and clean some parts! "Martians must die, so my 'Max's chrome will please the eye."

Also, the better pressure & reserve (tank size) you have on the compressor, the better & quicker your results.

So this will be the third time I'm cleaning these carbs (due to other issues) off of an '89 Hawk GT and this little blaster has worked awesome each time.

That's absolutely awesome Garrett! I need to get me one of those lil' blasters for sure! :clapping:

where can one obtain a blaster that you could strip an engine with? reasonably...:biglaugh:...

Latest posts

Back