Clear Coat question?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbone

Reaction score
I have a question about clear coat on my faux tank. When I put on my magnetic tank bag it leaves impressions inthe clear coat. Does that mean that not enough harder was not used in the clear coat mix? I use a magnetic tank protector to keep the magnets and paintwork separated for now. If more hardener would do the trick I can have him strip the clear coat off this winter and redo.
I was thinking about adding some additional artwork to the tins anyway this winter. Just have to decide what I want to do.:confused2:
I traded some construction work for the paint job just had to buy the materials for my buddy. He is not a professional painter by trade but paints and wrenches on a few of the local racers stock cars.

Brian,

How long has the tank cover been painted, is it factory??? It could have to do with the reducers/binders used and what the temp was when painted. But, it should dry within 45 days of being shot to its maximum hardness. The number of coats also would have something to do with it. Clears these days are getting softer and softer.

Just remember, if the clear and paint product are by the same company, chances are the paint under the clear is just as soft.

You could try a good polish followed by a couple of coats of your favorite wax to build up a little protection.

Neil

I've noticed this too with my tank bag. After riding in the heat for a while it leaves an impression in the clearcoat, which is stock btw, but after a few hours without the bag on it it flows back out smooth as a baby's ass

Neil,
It is not the factory paint. I used House of Kolor products for both paint and clear. The indentations do go away after is sits for a while, faster if in the sun. It was painted the first part of June, so it's probably been about 45 days.
I just read what I used to "wax" the paint, a polish! I used turtle wax ice synthetic paste polish so I did not use a wax on it yet. I guess I should have read my product description a little closer! DOH! I guess I never realized the difference between a polish and a wax. I'll be looking for a good wax next time I get into town!
Like momma always said, you learn something new every day!
Thanks,
Brian

Neil,
It is not the factory paint. I used House of Kolor products for both paint and clear. The indentations do go away after is sits for a while, faster if in the sun. It was painted the first part of June, so it's probably been about 45 days.
I used turtle wax ice to wax it. I did not use a polish on it before waxing. Can/ should I remove the wax, then use a polish on it now? If so, what kind of polish should I use?
Thanks,
Brian

Did the painter wet sand the topcoat before you got her back??? The polish wont give it any protection, just get the shine up before sealing it with wax. A good carnauba wax like Meguiars should work nice.

You could try doing the 1-2-3 Meguiars deep crystal system or similar on it. Cleaner, polish, then a few/several coats of the wax.

HOK is good stuff no doubt. Even Ford and Honda are having trouble with soft BC/CC these days.

Neil

Latest posts

Back