Clip-ons

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffee_brake

Reaction score
I got this set of clip-ons on Ebay that I think will fit the Vmax. They are used, wrecked, rashed and ugly, and I only paid ten bucks for them, but I'm on a serious budget anyway. The threads are all good and the bars are straight with a little rubbed off the ends, but there aren't any cracks or gouges in the aluminum. I don't know what the brand name is, looks like some kind of stylized "W" or "VW." They look like a decent set.

clipons.jpg

The seller just said they were 43mm, I don't know what they were on. Something with a cable clutch and remote brake MC reservoir, per the pics.

With my rearsets, the stock bar just isn't nice at all, I feel like a seal on a motorcycle. I sat a bike with the broomstick bar and that was much better but still not forward enough. The clubman bars look like they would be forward enough but the style isn't quite right for me. I figured for the price, I'd try these. Anybody ever installed clip-ons? The longer I ride the more I want to lean forward and the less comfortable I feel sitting up...isn't this backwards?

its whatever is comfortable for you eh? with the rearsets i could see tha tbut i'd worry about my palms not liking it after a while. u also don't have junk in your crotch to have to lean against for that long, so that helps eh?! hah

there was a guy on here with them. jacoviii

http://www.vmaxforum.net/album.php?albumid=320

Yea, had clip-ons for a little bit and even some clubmans. Got a few pics somewhere of both setups. You'll have to move over your clutch master at a min but could probably re-use the sportbike brake master.

I know on our drag Fazer I really like the clip-on conversion we did but it will for sure lean you over. As long as you have good wrists and good back you'll be OK for awhile.

Sean.

As long as you have good wrists and good back you'll be OK for awhile.

Sean.

I work out....I love my beer and it shows, but I work out....

Hoping to get these installed next week, if this fantastic balmy weather holds...

u also don't have junk in your crotch to have to lean against for that long, so that helps eh?! hah

there was a guy on here with them. jacoviii

http://www.vmaxforum.net/album.php?albumid=320

Don't even get me started...I began riding ten years ago surrounded by testosterone; it doesn't even register now. When I began riding I would tuck my long hair into my jacket and never wore fringe or anything to indicate it was a woman on the bike, I was that scared. Now I've painted my Vmax pink and openly taunt the losers on cruisers....

What has happened?! :rofl_200:

Jen,
I'm not sure if you have mounted the clip-ons or not, but you will find you need them almost perpendicular to the center line of the bike in order for you to keep them away from the faux tank cover. I have them on the drag bike and it helps to lean you forward, that for sure, but I've only gone a few miles, not sure how it will be for long rides... Maybe at 100mph the wind resistance will give you the perfect balance and take any additional weight off your wrists. Here are a few old pics with the clip-ons in place.

Attachments

• P1010144.jpg
    P1010144.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 118
  • P1010121.jpg
    P1010121.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 126
Cool, those pics helped a lot!
Now I'm wondering what I'll do with the stock handlebar clamps....

I'm going to start the install today, had to do a charity run on the Vmax this weekend so it was busy....

I hope it comes out as good-looking as yours....

keep in mind yours will look a little different since Jeffs bike is raked 10 degrees. Makes a lot of difference to the long low look.

Sean

These clip-ons fit fine and I like the look a whole lot. I couldn't believe changing out the controls was so painless.
I will need to re-locate the front signals and think I will look for a set of cheap bar-end mirrors.

The front end feels very heavy now, I guess from changing the leverage point, since I took stuff off.

There are no issues with hitting the tank cover, although the cables and hydraulic lines are a bit long now.

There may be comfort issues, a few short trips will tell.

If these aren't the best for the riding I do, I'm pretty sure a broomstick bar will be the ticket.

Wow I'm going to get in trouble with these. It's almost impossible to do the speed limit when I feel like I'm launching down the drag strip at every light!
I've always been a "tank gripper" so I'm not feeling wrist pain or back pain at all (again, I work out, if you don't have strong core muscles YRMV). This is on one trip across the state line and back. And I was *trying* to behave.

The rearsets just cry out for clipons like these. I like them well enough that I'll get the front turn signals relocated (would love ideas from others who have done it). The brake and clutch lines are all geeked up because they are too long and routed up and over the headlight. But braided lines are on the to-do list anyway.

This is about right for me, and the bike just feels like a monster now. I know you folks generally poo-pooed a steering damper, but I know that's the next step on this setup. It wibble-wobbles on hard acceleration over every bump and it's not the head bearings, tire or front end, not this time. With more of my weight over the front end, the geometry has shifted just a bit and I'm fairly sure a damper would help. Anybody got good ideas for that?

I'll get pics up tomorrow, even with the silly-looking brake lines. It's a whole new machine and I really like it.

The light is still dim outside so the pics aren't great, but here are the clip ons installed. I know, I know, the brake and clutch lines are way too long now but braided lines are on the list when funds allow and I'll get the right length then. Cheap set of bar end mirrors on the way now, to see if I like them. I like the stock mirrors but they don't look right with the clipons.
These things give a whole new feel to the bike.

IMG_0995.jpg

IMG_0997.jpg

what do I do with the handlebar clamp? Put a cup holder on it?

IMG_0998.jpg

Back