Clutch cover sealant

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yes I know, there is no sealant suppose to be there but it seems that when I took off my clutch reserve cover to replace it the gasket (big surprise on an 86 right, I think I have replaced every fu%^ing gasket on the bike so far:bang head: :bang head: ) was f#@ked. I have ordered a new gasket but I can't have the bike laid up over the weekend, so I need to know what sealant I could put on there to prevent any leaks in the mean time. The jackass :smileystooges: that owned the bike before me had a red sealant of some sort on there (no leaks befor I took it off) because I guess he was just too GD cheap to spend the $4 on a new one.

Anyway thanks for the help. :cheers:

Yes I know, there is no sealant suppose to be there but it seems that when I took off my clutch reserve cover to replace it the gasket (big surprise on an 86 right, I think I have replaced every fu%^ing gasket on the bike so far:bang head: :bang head: ) was f#@ked. I have ordered a new gasket but I can't have the bike laid up over the weekend, so I need to know what sealant I could put on there to prevent any leaks in the mean time. The jackass :smileystooges: that owned the bike before me had a red sealant of some sort on there (no leaks befor I took it off) because I guess he was just too GD cheap to spend the $4 on a new one.

Black RTV will do it...

You are talking about the reservoir cover right?:confused2:

Res cover right. I had a friend who is a mechanic give me Loctite Gasket Eliminator 518 Red Sealant. Hopefully it works well.:hmmm:

Thanks for the help.:cheers:

We got gasket material from Advance Auto and cut our own gaskets. Just use a pencil and trace line around the cover. Cut with a utility knife and you're done! Works fine, no leaks and it's cheap!

Mark

Great idea Mark, I think I'll do that. Is there any specific thickness I whould look for or are they all the same?

Great advice.:cheers:

It wasn't very thick, don't remember being more than one thickness. I'll see what I have left and measure it with my caliper. I'll let you know shortly.

Mark

Okay, measured and it's between .03 and .04 inches. Pretty damn thin!

Mark

Ok... I may be lost here...

Does your cover have the plastic piece and then the rubber diaphram piece?

It's the rubber you're missing right?

Latest posts

Back