clutch cover torque question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagicMANX

Reaction score
Guys, have a special question, im about to exchange the gasket on my clutch cover, the main concern that I have come across, Here in Chile is quite difficult to get a torque wrench with a good low range, the most descent one I've found can do the torque from 13Nm, the manual says that the cover should be torqued to 10Nm.

My main question is... Will something BAD happen if I torque the cover screws to 13Nm instead of the 10Nm that the manual states ??

Thanks for the support !!!

I have not yet used a torque wrench on any of the covers. I am sure you will be fine to do the same as long as you don't try and use a big ratchet on it.

Sean

i've always used a normal 3/8" socket (7 - 8" arm) and once it grips do one more good push.

be careful with those bolts, i've never had any brake but i've heard some people have....

The cover bolts (for all the covers) are very good quality and about grade 5 comparitive. The clutch basket bolts however are very soft so be careful with them.

Sean

When you install your new gasket you can add vaseline or any other type of lubricant jelly to gasket to prevent it from sticking and breaking the next time you pull your clutch cover for mantainence.
I use either a 1/4 in drive ratchet or a small hex wrench to prevent over torque. If you crank down on them they will strip out and you will have to reapir with a heli coli.
Some people can feel when a bolt is ready to strip and some cant and just strip threads out. Snug them evenely in a star pattern when bolting down the cover.

I have an inch pound torque wrench for the small bolts. It is a Craftsman from Sears.

Thanks for all the replys guys, this will be very very helpful, tomorrow im going IN !!

As soon as I get some results, will be getting back to you'all to let you know if my bike is dead or alive :ummm:

Cheers ! :punk:

Latest posts

Back