Clutch plates

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XXXMAX

Reaction score
:bang head: What part does the small clutch plate in the back of the clutch basket play in the Gen 1 ??? And can the small wrap around spring be removed and a standard plate be installed with out any future problems ?

It smooths out the clutch action. And yes you can replace with a full size disc - search for the Double D mod in this forum.

I did 8 plate mod and no more slipping clutch, and just original spring plate. Install new steel plates at the same time, if you have $$ for them.

If the steel plates are not scorched, it's ok to scuff clean and reuse them, I also installed a PCW spring when I did mine, little better than stock but not as brutal as the double D mod which is stacking 2 stock plates together..........................Tom.

:bang head: What part does the small clutch plate in the back of the clutch basket play in the Gen 1 ??? And can the small wrap around spring be removed and a standard plate be installed with out any future problems ?

You can put in a full plate and get rid of the spring. That's what happens with the pcw kit lots of us are running. Maybe with the DD mod, too, but I haven't tried that.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Sean has a kit that replaces the half plate and spring with a full plate and he can also sell you a clutch spring that is 120 % as strong as a new standard spring. he exchanges the steel disks for you as well and you should replace these if you are going to replace the friction disks. He can send you everything you need at once.

I love this combo as it has plenty of bite for my needs and is not as difficult to pull as the Double D mod. I commute with my bike and never push it to its limits.

I upgraded to the Barnett keeping the half friction plate installed. After several months I decided to remove the half plate, wire and the other 2 components (names elude me) and felt no difference. If your in the clutch, go ahead and remove that half friction and put a full one in there. As for upgrading your pressure plate and spring, it seems like the 3 main ones are the double d, pcw and the Barnett. Lots of info on all three upgrades and feedback on the benefits to them here on the forum.

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant

New plates and frictions went into mine all oem, replaced half plate with full and doubled up the spring plate(double d conversion)
Love the feel as it feels very strong, agresive bite and my left forearm gets a great work out every time I ride!
Not for everyone though

I did the DD clutch spring and WOW what a difference. More positive when shifted. I left the 1/2 plate in. I thought I had a spare fiber disk but I had another 1/2 disk, will have to order one.
I may get one of Seans or PCW pressure spring and try those to see what is the difference.
All in all I do like the Double spring. Bike powers up front end allot easier.
Thanks for all of your in put.
Tom Rouse

Glad that you like it....I love mine....even with the downsides....tougher pull etc.

Latest posts

Back