Clutch upgrade options?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
My Max is pretty new to me and I'm looking into my options for a clutch upgrade. Here is what I'm thinking my options are. Please correct if I'm wrong or add if I'm missing anything.

Double D: Basically you remove the half friction plate, wire retainer, clutch boss and you install a full size friction plate in place of all the above. You buy another clutch spring from Yamaha(diaphram style disc) and stack it on top of the existing one. Reassemble per directions found at Lvlhead or vmax outlaw.

Barnett: This is a kit that comes with a new pressure plate and coil springs. The original clutch spring (diaphram style) gets discarded. You can also remove the half friction plate,etc at this time.

PCW: Same as Double D but you can install the PCW brand diaphram style clutch spring in place of the stock spring. Give you a lever pull that is somewhere between stock and the double D. Or you can install the PCW spring and keep the stock one and your lever pull will be harder than the DD mod.

Strongest Clutch:
1. PCW mod with both springs
2. Double D
3. PCW with only one spring
4. Barnett
5. Stock

If I want to do a DD mod All I need to buy is the gasket, an additional spring and additional fiber?

PCW mod is the same but I buy their spring instead

Barnett is the most expensive

sounds close. You can buy HD springs for the barnett setup too which give it a stronger bite.

We also have a few factory coil spring conversion parts that are similar to the barnett setup but use stock components (we also suggest getting HD barnett springs). They were used from 83-85 in the 1200 ventures.

DD needs the fiber, spring, and gasket as you mentioned.

Sean

sounds close. You can buy HD springs for the barnett setup too which give it a stronger bite.

We also have a few factory coil spring conversion parts that are similar to the barnett setup but use stock components (we also suggest getting HD barnett springs). They were used from 83-85 in the 1200 ventures.

DD needs the fiber, spring, and gasket as you mentioned.

Sean

Is the 5 spring 83-85 venture pressure plate a direct bolt on to the vmax clutch set up and if so, how much benefit is it over stock or double d set up?

Mike

Personally I like the feel of coil springs over diaphragm springs. They feel and are more linear to me.

Just my opinion though!

They are not a direct bolt up. You need the complete inner basket, push rod (short one that plugs into the pressure plate), pressure plate and springs.

Sean

They are not a direct bolt up. You need the complete inner basket, push rod (short one that plugs into the pressure plate), pressure plate and springs.

Sean

Ok, I have all of that - is it a worthwhile mod to do over the double d that I currently have?

Thanks Mike

Mike,

Just to give you a comparision, you have ridden SnowMax which has the PCW clutch setup installed. I find that the PCW clutch setup definately hooks up.

Back