Clutch whining?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4W4K3

Reaction score
Howdy guys. I'm new to the form, but I've been browsing over it for the past few days. I just got my first Vmax ('92 - 16,500 miles) about two weeks ago. Already put 500 miles on it and I've only found one minor issue with it. It seems like there is a whining noise coming from the clutch when it is engaged. I can't remember if it was like this when I got the bike, but is that normal? It's not terribly annoying, just enough to be noticeable with stock pipes...

Anyways, thanks in advance!

Hey neighbor! Welcome to the VMF! Not sure about the clutch noise....does it do it all the time, or only when sitting at a stop, with the lever pulled in? I would check the oil level and condition, but most likely I think there is a bearing in the assembly that might be the culprit.

If the whine is in neutral with the clutch out, It's Perfectly normal...:biglaugh:

Thanks for the breakdown, are these bearings known to go out?
But actually, it'll only make the noise if I'm giving it gas; perfectly quiet while at a stop, in neutral, or shifting/have the lever pulled in.

You might want to put the bike on center stand and run it in gear to make sure the noise isn't coming from other sources such as middle drive gear or differential.

Yes, it could be a differential noise, there's a nut that's known to come loose on the drive shaft side.. Does it whine when you are decelerating, accelerating but is quiet when you have just enough throttle to be in between accel and decel?

Hmm, there's probably a good chance it's coming from another source. It only whines while accelerating (I'll confirm this tomorrow - didn't get a chance to ride today).
Differential noise would make sense if only occuring during accel/decel, right?

Diff can make noise on either accell or decell or both. Lots of internal parts like trans bearings and other misc can make the same noises.

Sean

Alrighty, I went on a ride yesterday and found that it does make that same noise when decerating. I almost want to say it is the driveshaft, but I'm no expert so I can't say for sure. For now it's fine, I just was curious what could be causing it. Thanks for the help guys.

I have a gentle whine from the right side clutch cover area, happens under light accel and decel. Sounds like typical drive-line noise I hear on various bikes, quads, trannys, whatever. I dunno if this is what you're hearing as well, maybe you should grab some video.

Latest posts

Back