Clutch will not fully engage

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ44V

Reaction score
A little background to help understand my problem. I finally get the max running great after the PO let it sit FOREVER. After about a thousand miles or so the clutch master cylinder started leaking behind trhe plunger. I bought the rebuild kit. I removed the master cyl and cleaned/rebuilt it. Put it all back together and after many hours of frustration while attempting to bleed the clutch (still no pressure) I bought a MightyVac. Had some issues with it not sealing very well around the bleed screw but I was able to get pressure in my clutch lever again. I went back to the old way of bleeding the clutch and everything felt great. I took it up and down the street and things seemed to be in order. WELL, on my way to work this morning I noticed the clutch slips like crazy. The clutch did not slip prior to me rebuilding the master cyl. Also, now the clutch doesn't "somewhat" disengage/engage until the end of the clutch release. Am I still looking at needing to bleed the clutch more or???? The clutch is definitely not fully disengaging is it?

Did you check the banjo bolt by the master? Sometimes a bubble gets stuck in there that normal bleed will not take care of.

Yep, been stationed at Mt. Home for almost 6yrs. I retire next May...whoo hoo!

I retire in 3 1/2 if I don't make Master, wish I wouldve joined out of high school and I would've been right there with you. Good luck and hope my thread fixes your problem.

Well I hope you make master...I didn't so I am out. Missed it by less than 3 points two years running now. Even if I make it next year I will not be staying in.

Hopefully this works. I think I am going to go out and try it in a few minutes. Great thing about being in maintenance is the access to tools at work!

I feel you, #4 non selectee this year by .072. I'm ammo so I know what you mean. I forgot, have plenty of rags to cover your sides and radiator side cover or remove them to keep fluid from eating them. I learned the hard way lol.

No doubt. Unfortunately it is looking like a problem still exists with the master cyl. I let a buddy take it for a spin after me and he came back with an issue. The bushing that has the hole in it for the push rod some how dropped out a little and the push rod was no longer in the bushing. Also there seems to be way too much play in the clutch lever (it flops around a bit while lifting it up and down...sloppy). Also I noticed fluid leaking out from around the boot that is attached to the push rod. This leaking issue is the reason I rebuilt it in the first place. UGH. I think I may have to order a whole new master cyl assy. I can get one from SHSpowersports for 102 plus shipping. I don't know what to do at this point. I am getting tired of spending money on this bike. At the same time I feel like I am almost at the end of the problems...I hope.

Back