Coating the gas tank today

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick.

Reaction score
I'm using POR15's gas tank stuff today and hopefully I'll get good results! I did the marine clean portion, did a 20 min swish session of that, rinsed it out, now it's got the metal ready in it. I shook it around for about 20 min and now its gotta sit in 2 different positions. About another hour I'll rinse it out in the wash tub in the basement, have a hair dryer blow in it for an hour or two then it's time to coat that sum bitch!

Can you take some pics? I would love to see what that stuff looks like, and what the tank looks like inside after it's coated!

Yeah i'll take a pic or 2. I got the tank all rust free last night, looked spotless! But, yay for flash rust. It's ok though, the por15 is meant to bind to flash rust. I'm waiting on the bottom to get dry right now, only like 3 inches of moist looking area and it'll be coated!! From what i gander it'll look like a light gray color, atleast that's what the instructions paper says.

If you guys go for the ultimate kit from POR15, the one with marine clean, metal ready, and the sealer... DON'T BOTHER! The marine clean is nice, it takes the rust flaking out and the metal ready doesn't do anything. Doesn't take out any rust at all. I had to use muriatic acid to get the rust out.

ZineStuff946.jpg

ZineStuff947.jpg

That's just it cleaned out yesterday, there's no flash rust in there lol but if I took a pic now, you'd be like WOAH!

I'm gonna coat it in like an hour or so. I'll show you the final product when i'm done!

OK the tank is done.

ZineStuff952.jpg

making sure it's dried out. Didn't know if 4 hours with a hair dryer did the trick, so i put an air hose in there for another 2 hours.

ZineStuff953.jpg

mixing it up

ZineStuff954.jpg

My dumbass friend came over and...

ZineStuff955.jpg

spilled 3/4 of the can. But don't worry I got it all coated and that was the excess.

ZineStuff956.jpg

There's the inside, very wet. I haven't checked yet today.

hmmm, I think the tank I've just put in my bike is coated with the same stuff - it looks very similar. Thanks for the pics!

I love POR-15 as well. Used it on my wife's max that we picked up after it had sat with about 1 1/2 gallons of gas for several years. This was up in New Jersey just a couple of miles from the coast. Talk about rust!

I drained and power-washed it first, then did electrolysis to get nearly all of the rust out before performing the coating procedure.

I can't see where she will ever have a problem with rust in her carbs after that. Maybe I'll take the time to coat mine this winter....

It's worth it! I just need to make a break for the bike shop out here this weekend and I'll take her for a spin!

I've got a REAL rusty tank. I've also got a nice clean replacement for it, but I'm wondering if it is worth my time to try cleaning out the old one, coating it, and reselling it. POR15 seems to have some good results. Any thoughts on the best way to clean out the rust before coating? Someone mentioned electrolysis - how does that work? Someone else mentioned muriatic acid. Can I get that myself, or do I need to bring it to someone? Any other suggestions? First thing to do might be to powerwash and flush all the crap out, but I can hear and feel it sloshing around so its pretty bad. Thanks

Yukonerdave, get a bottle of "the works" toilet bowl cleaner from walmart. It works
great and only costs a couple bucks. I cleaned a very rusty tank with it, and the
rust was gone. Works better than muriatic acid or the prep stuff that comes in the
Kreem kit. (don't buy Kreem).

toilet bowl cleaner works better than muriatic acid? Psh, about 1 cup of muriatic acid and 2-3 min of swishing and your tank is rust free. Then you gotta rinse it out for like 5-10 min after that though to get all the chemicals out.

Latest posts

Back