Cobra Slip Ons???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxpooka

Reaction score
I realize this is probably a over discussed topic BUT....I have a stock 06 Vmax, and I am looking for a little bit better sound from it. I am not looking for the earth shattering, ear breaking sound....just want a little more rumble over stock. I was looking at a set of Cobra slip ons, but have heard they are junk and actually rob power from the mighty max! I am not sure if the power robbing issue is just from people who have failed to properly jet after installation, or what. The Cobra slash cuts look awsome in my opinion, and I was considering installing a set with a K&N filter and jet kit. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated!!! Bob

It's a pretty much dyno proven fact. The cobra's rob power in a big way. You are making somewhere in the 110's on rwhp being all stock. Expect to struggle to get to 100 with the Cobra's. If power isn't that big a deal then you can move over to them. They are lighter then stock mufflers for sure. They don't make it sound even in my opinion but are louder then stock for a bit of rumble. They do require removal of the centerstand though you don't have to cut the tabs at least like you do for a Kerker.

A full header would be way more beneficial and not always loud. You can even go with other slip-ons for more noise but don't expect a gain there either (but at least you don't normally lose power).

Sean Morley

yes the cobras LOOK awesome......but, IMO>>>they sound like CRAP!

i like the sound of the supertrap slip ons myself:punk:.

in fact...i have a set on my livingroom floor.....:rofl_200:

at least with the trapps yu can TUNE them to a certain degree.

I've drilled some extra holes in my Cobras and have always loved the sound, but I have a set of stock cans that I'm going to put back on because of the performance problem of the Cobras. The sound just isn't worth the loss in HP for me.
-

yes the cobras LOOK awesome......but, IMO>>>they sound like CRAP!

i like the sound of the supertrap slip ons myself:punk:.

in fact...i have a set on my livingroom floor.....:rofl_200:

at least with the trapps yu can TUNE them to a certain degree.

Agreed that the Cobras are one of the best looking systems but the power loss even with jetting isn't worth it. The two I saw on the dyno pulled 95bhp... :confused2:

I am not a fan of the look of Supertrapps but they sure do sound GOOD!:worthy:

A full system is the way to go but second is the Supers IMO.

Chris

This is just me but I love the sound of my bike with supertraps. I always get peoples heads to turn at the bike meets or just riding downtown or it could be my damn good looks but I really think its the exhaust LOL :biglaugh:

Welcome to the board!

Sean Morley is the guy with the big clue, so if power is important, I would heed the messenger. there is another "slash cut" can system but I can't remember what it is. maybe that setup has no HP loss.

Since I neither race on the street or the strip, and I like the look and sound of my Cobras, I am happy. The loss in HP sure has not effected my MPG or GTT (grin-to-throttle) ratio .
That being said I have a set of Stainless Supertrapps I will try out this spring just to see.

Wow, I just spent the last two hours going back through the "exhaust" section of this website...Its AWESOME!! Its also great to see that so many people are open and willing to share their opinions/trials/errors. I appreciate the feedback about the cobras....I am thinking of leaving the stock system on, and doing the end cap removal/drilling/replacing idea that I read about on this website. Not to open up another can of worms, but the posts were old that I was reading....I am wondering if anyone has had any long term problems with modifying the stock exhaust? I don't want to do the deep mod, just the end cap. Thanks for all of your help and comments! Bob

mimvx,
That sounds Great, and is exactly what I am looking for. A couple of questions for you; Did you have to jet the carbs? Are you running aftermarket or stock airfilter? Why did you leave the endcaps off, instead of reinstalling/spacing them out? Sorry to bombard you with so many questions, and thanks for posting the soundbyte!! Hey we are kinda neighbors, I am in northern Ohio! Bob

You'll be OK stock but putting a K&N in while doing this may necessitate the installation of 147.5 main jets to make it run the best...

Just did the stock muffler modification on my max....I started out small, drilling the holes to1/4 inch diameter instead of going straight to the 1/2 . I figured I could always go bigger if I needed to, but SWEET JESUS does it sound awesome!!!

Back