Cold morning ride to work

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbone

Reaction score
I have been having trouble with my truck (GM - Fuel pump, fuel pump connector x2, dstributor cap ko'd) so I have been riding Redbone to work in the rain and cold. It's not that far of a ride so it's been ok. Today I get up to heavy frost but no wind and the the sun was on the horizion. I make sure the liner is in my jacket and out the door I go.
I have to walk across the steet to my brothers garage and I thinking that this is gonna be cold. After all it's 28 degrees! I turn on the ignition, adjust the choke and hit the starter. Varooom! Redbone fires right up. I strap on the helmet and pull on my gloves while it warms up. I jump on and drop into first...CLUNK! slip it back into neutral and warm it up a couple minutes more. This time when I drop it into gear in sounds a lot better and I'm off.
I half expect the cold to shoot right through me but it dosen't. I get to Lakeshore drive, turn right and I go to work, turn left and it's three good corners but I would have to backtrack......I still have 10 minutes before work so I turn left and roll the throttle on. The first corner is in 3rd at about 70, man this feels good! I run out of the corner and drop it into 4th and give a little more throttle as I carve through the next corner at about 95 I don't even feel the cold nor does Redbone. I hit the third corner at about 80 blast out of it but then hard on he brakes so I can turn around at the lighthouse.
As I cruise through the lighthouse parking lot I am grinning from ear to ear. I jump back on the road back through the corners hard on the throttle with a smile that will last all day on my face. As I get nearer to work I weave back and forth in my lane wishing I could ride all day. I am going to miss this 7 mile wake run when the snow hits. Meh, I pull into the parking lot at work trying to figure out a excuse to call in sorry so I can continue to ride.
Damn, I wish my retirement plan would hit soon!

I've ridden in the mid 30's and i was ok,(cold) but i dressed with lots of layers. I wouldn't even consider the 20's:surprise:Just not worth it to me...

I love ridding in the cold.I've ridden as low as 10 or so.Rode in today and had 2 cops eyeballing me pretty closely.Have my wheelie bars and front strapped down.I was supposed to be racing all weekend till my boss went into the looney bin.I was kinda wondering if its legal or not.Guess so they didn't chase me.

I love ridding in the cold.I've ridden as low as 10 or so.Rode in today and had 2 cops eyeballing me pretty closely.Have my wheelie bars and front strapped down.I was supposed to be racing all weekend till my boss went into the looney bin.I was kinda wondering if its legal or not.Guess so they didn't chase me.

Riding around with wheelie bars and the front strapped down?:rocket bike:

Gotta love it!

No wonder you go through rear tires like Rob Lowe through teenage girls at a slumber party......:cheers:

later,

Rusty

I really didn't feel the cold at all, I wore my Joe Rocket Sonic (w/liner) and my regular gloves. My neck got a little chilly but the ride was only 10 -12 min long.
LoL Shawn, riding around with your wheelie bars and ft end strapped....no wonder the cops didn't chase you!:rocket bike:

Last edited:
I love to ride in the winter if the roads are dry, too, but what do you guys use for gloves. I have about six pair, each one was going to be the "silver bullet," but none of them work as well as I want them to. I even bought a pair with a D cell battery on each gauntlet--didn't do the job. So, what do I need? Hep me, hep me, pleeze!

I love to ride in the winter if the roads are dry, too, but what do you guys use for gloves. I have about six pair, each one was going to be the "silver bullet," but none of them work as well as I want them to. I even bought a pair with a D cell battery on each gauntlet--didn't do the job. So, what do I need? Hep me, hep me, pleeze!

Try this pair of winter gloves from Tour Master.

hands are probably the hardest part of the body to keep warm ....grab a bunch of hand warmers usually home depot carrys then..stay hot for 8 hours and are thin enought to keep inside your gloves eather in the palm or backhand

When my hands get really cold while riding, I just put them on the cylinder heads.

You ride with your wheelie bars on?? I bet thats interesting, good way to bust your ass. Ever have your bars bottom out and pick the rear tire off the ground? I knew a guy who used to ride his Honda 750 around with his wheelie bars on until one day he was in a turn and hit a pothole and slung his ass off giving him road rash over 30% of his body. becareful.
What does it take .......10 mins to pull the bars off? 4 bolts through some hime joints.:ummm:
Not busting on ya man. I heard of it happening and it wasnt pretty.

Hay Yankee,
How come your avatar isn't working( flashing:eusa_dance:) like is should????

I don't know. I been sitting here at my computer holding a dollar waiting for the past 5 hours. Whacca think, maybe a 5 will do it? :ummm:

You ride with your wheelie bars on?? I bet thats interesting, good way to bust your ass. Ever have your bars bottom out and pick the rear tire off the ground? I knew a guy who used to ride his Honda 750 around with his wheelie bars on until one day he was in a turn and hit a pothole and slung his ass off giving him road rash over 30% of his body. becareful.
What does it take .......10 mins to pull the bars off? 4 bolts through some hime joints.:ummm:
Not busting on ya man. I heard of it happening and it wasnt pretty.

I only have the bars on if I am getting ready to go racing.I do not like to wait till I get to the track.I also live 2 miles from work and fully understand that it does not handle right.I also lift them up some.

Back