Connecting new speedometer

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robby Tweak

Reaction score
Hello,
I just bought a new speedometer for my 1997 Vmax.
The original speedometer cable fits nice. ( The one from the frontwheel) Now i have to connect the wires. The original wires are black, blue and white.
I suppose minus, positive and ?
I only need to read the speed from this speedometer and have a backlight and i am not using the tachometer on this new meter for now. The speed will be displayed digital.
Can somebody help me?. I posted the electrical scheme from the new speedometer. I can skip a lot because i am not using the other functions.
Thanks a lot.
Greetings Robby from Holland.

Attachments

• IMG_20240405_234059061.jpg
    IMG_20240405_234059061.jpg
    419 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240405_234200643.jpg
    IMG_20240405_234200643.jpg
    620.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20240405_234355554.jpg
    IMG_20240405_234355554.jpg
    708.6 KB · Views: 1
The blue wire on the OE loom is the feed for the illumination and black is earth. The white/ green is for the reed switch with is part of the signal cancelling function (which will no longer work.)

The blue wire on the OE loom is the feed for the illumination and black is earth. The white/ green is for the reed switch with is part of the signal cancelling function (which will no longer work.)
Thank you very much.
Is it a problem that the signal cancelling function no longer works?
I just found a how to on you tube fot this specific speedometer. It is a speedometer that a lot of people use. Oke, it is from China but worth a try. I wonder if i have to put on a magnet with cable for the speedometer because this new speedometer also have the "old" connection where the oem cable goes in.
Thanks and have a nice day.
Greetings Robby

Thank you very much.
Is it a problem that the signal cancelling function no longer works?
I just found a how to on you tube fot this specific speedometer. It is a speedometer that a lot of people use. Oke, it is from China but worth a try. I wonder if i have to put on a magnet with cable for the speedometer because this new speedometer also have the "old" connection where the oem cable goes in.
Thanks and have a nice day.
Greetings Robby
I use the same speedometer on my 2005, I put 3 small magnets equally spaced in the allen heads of the brake roatar bolts, then mounted the sensor off the caliper bolt with the supplied bracket.

The speed cancelling function only works after 10 seconds and only if the bike is moving. Personally I have never found it much use because it's quite obvious when the indicators are on due to the console light. 10 seconds is a long time to be riding with an indicator that should have been cancelled.

The speed cancelling function only works after 10 seconds and only if the bike is moving. Personally I have never found it much use because it's quite obvious when the indicators are on due to the console light. 10 seconds is a long time to be riding with an indicator that should have been cancelled.
Thanks for the information

I use the same speedometer on my 2005, I put 3 small magnets equally spaced in the allen heads of the brake roatar bolts, then mounted the sensor off the caliper bolt with the supplied bracket.
Thanks. I will figure it out later. Yesterday i saw a gps speedometer with just and only the reading of the speed and a day trip function. I gonna try that one first.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240406-215427.png
    Screenshot_20240406-215427.png
    433.3 KB · Views: 0
Back