Coolant Flush

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zippo6

Reaction score
I've looked through the other posts and have done some searching but I can't find a good 'How Too' or Tutorial on flushing the coolant system on my max.

I don't know when mine was last flushed as I've only owned it for < 2 months now and based on the condition of the other fluids I don't suspect the PO did much along the lines of maintenance on the bike.

If possible, here is what I know I need to ask:
1) Drain plug? Where is the lower most drain plug for the coolant located on the bike?
2) Is it
(the drain plug) difficult to remove? (any special tools required?)
3) Should the overflow tank be cleaned at this time as well?
If so: Is there a recommended cleaning agent, other than water, that is recommended?
4) How should you flush the system?
I have read some suggestions but I believe they were more in line with prepping for Engine Ice.
5) When refilling the system, how do you try to avoid a vapor lock?
6) If it does get vapor locked, how do you purge the air?
7) Anything else that I have missed!!

OH, and are there any seals or anything that should be replaced at this time?

Thanks guys, I know this is basic, but I've never done it before and do NOT want to screw up the cooling system on my bike.

:worthy:

Last edited:
zippo. all your questions are answered in a haynes manual. get one! i promise its well worth the money. its a gorgeous $15 hard backed book, works wonders. i had no idea how to do mine and it walked me thru it...

Back