Copper gaskets

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nibsy

Reaction score
Hi all - Looking to replace the copper gaskets on the rear two exhaust headers as I just can’t get the joints to seal! ☹️ - all the ones i’ve looked at on-line are 42x49mm diameter but my old ones are 35x42mm 🤷‍♂️ anyone shed any light on this please??
cheers 👋

What is the aversion to OEM? Things high-priced in Australia?

Gasket, Exhaust Pipe quan. needed: 2

3GD-14613-00-00

Retail Price: $8.49

Your Price: $5.35
-------------------------

3GD-14613-00-00

2006 Yamaha V-MAX 1200 (VMX12V) Exhaust | Ron Ayers

Notice it's the same part # but two different positions shown on the fiche: f & r cyl header pipes

VMax exhaust complete.png

Your signature: I got shafted to be honest and regret buying it now.

What hasn't been fixed yet? Nearly anything that's wrong with it, short of a junk engine can be fixed.

Australia?? I’m in Uk. I have no aversion to OEM parts - my problem is that the copper gaskets are the incorrect size. 🤷‍♂️

Australia?? I’m in Uk. I have no aversion to OEM parts - my problem is that the copper gaskets are the incorrect size. 🤷‍♂️
Oops, I saw 'South Wales,' and thought 'New South Wales.' Anyway, are you saying the specs on those part #'s are 42mm X 49mm? Is that what you see in the UK Yamaha dealer's specs?

Have a word with Fowlers who list the seals at £11.32 each. or Yambits who show them in copper (£2.99) or fibre (£1.80).
One other point, you say that your frame is a 2EN; this is an '87 - '90 frame for the European market which was without V-Boost with km/h Tacho and light switch, 35mm-Carburettor, max revs 8500 rpm.
I also have it at the back of my mind (but can't find any reference) that they had smaller exhaust ports.

I say this as I was gives some of the gaskets but they were smaller than those in my bike (a '99 US model).
I'll have a look to see if I still have them and if they are the size you want you are welcome to have them.

Watch this space.....well not this space because it is already occupied.

I guess watch another space would be better?

Oops, I saw 'South Wales,' and thought 'New South Wales.' Anyway, are you saying the specs on those part #'s are 42mm X 49mm? Is that what you see in the UK Yamaha dealer's specs?

Yes it’s item no 5 on the parts diagram/list for the exhaust. Pt no
1FK-14613-00.
It’s basically just a copper ring. The dimensions of this ring are 41 id and 49 od (give or take half a mil) The rings on my bike, however, measure 35mm id and 42 od.
I honestly don’t understand how this joint is ever going to seal using a hard copper ring when one of the clamping flanges isn’t even attached to the pipe - it just slides clean off! When the joint is clamped up as hard as it will go you can just pull the pipe clean out of the engine!!

which part of the rears are you wanting gaskets for, the one that goes into the 'joint' looks smaller than the one that goes into the cylinder head,
get original parts here
EXHAUST - Yamaha VMAX12 VMAX1200 (3UF3, 1993) 010 B | Yamaha VMAX12 VMAX1200 (3UF3, 1993) 010 B 1993 EXHAUST with fast delivery to United States | Fowlers Parts
ps. I've never taken my rear pipes off so I don't know what size the gaskets are
1FK-14613-00.
It’s basically just a copper ring. The dimensions of this ring are 41 id and 49 od (give or take half a mil) The rings on my bike, however, measure 35mm id and 42 od.
I honestly don’t understand how this joint is ever going to seal using a hard copper ring when one of the clamping flanges isn’t even attached to the pipe - it just slides clean off! When the joint is clamped up as hard as it will go you can just pull the pipe clean out of the engine!!

What is the aversion to OEM? Things high-priced in Australia?

3GD-14613-00-00

-------------------------

3GD-14613-00-00

2006 Yamaha V-MAX 1200 (VMX12V) Exhaust | Ron Ayers

Notice it's the same part # but two different positions shown on the fiche: f & r cyl header pipes

View attachment 77324

Your signature: I got shafted to be honest and regret buying it now.

What hasn't been fixed yet? Nearly anything that's wrong with it, short of a junk engine can be fixed.
Another great post by Fire Medic, gotta love it :)

What I have are the seals for the front (part #26) which are a nominal 49 x 40 and the dimensions you mention above.
There are two rings at the rear, #1 which fits between the head and the stub which is bolted to the head and (#5) which seems to be there to make a seal between the stub and header.
This will work harden when compressed and can be softened by annealing.

Have you spoken to Fowlers or Yambits yet to get an opinion from them?

Have a word with Fowlers who list the seals at £11.32 each. or Yambits who show them in copper (£2.99) or fibre (£1.80).
One other point, you say that your frame is a 2EN; this is an '87 - '90 frame for the European market which was without V-Boost with km/h Tacho and light switch, 35mm-Carburettor, max revs 8500 rpm.
I also have it at the back of my mind (but can't find any reference) that they had smaller exhaust ports.

I say this as I was gives some of the gaskets but they were smaller than those in my bike (a '99 US model).
I'll have a look to see if I still have them and if they are the size you want you are welcome to have them.

Watch this space.....well not this space because it is already occupied.

I guess watch another space would be better?
1FK-14613-00.
What I have are the seals for the front (part #26) which are a nominal 49 x 40 and the dimensions you mention above.
There are two rings at the rear, #1 which fits between the head and the stub which is bolted to the head and (#5) which seems to be there to make a seal between the stub and header.
This will work harden when compressed and can be softened by annealing.

Have you spoken to Fowlers or Yambits yet to get an opinion from them?
Yes it is #5 on the drawing I need. I have two new ones which measure 41 x 49 but my old seals are 35x42mm (with an allowance for deformation. The od of my rear downpipes, (measured at the portion that goes into the coupling on the back of the block) is also 35mm so a seal with id 41mm is never going to seal in a million years - it is 6mm too big. Haven’t rung Fowlers yet. Will try later.

No joy with Fowlers it seems that every model of Vmax uses part # 1FK-14613-00
I’m actually wondering if these pipes are off a Royal Star / Venture / XV model. My engine code is 2WE which is apparently US spec.

can't you re-use the original with a bit of exhaust cement

Re annealing copper.
Heat until red hot, then drop into water.
Can be done on a gas cooker.

Annealing softens the copper. Physical deformation initially weakens it but it then becomes harder.

Re annealing copper.
Heat until red hot, then drop into water.
Can be done on a gas cooker.

Annealing softens the copper. Physical deformation initially weakens it but it then becomes harder.
Yep. Tried that.

1FK-14613-00.

Yes it is #5 on the drawing I need. I have two new ones which measure 41 x 49 but my old seals are 35x42mm (with an allowance for deformation. The od of my rear downpipes, (measured at the portion that goes into the coupling on the back of the block) is also 35mm so a seal with id 41mm is never going to seal in a million years - it is 6mm too big. Haven’t rung Fowlers yet. Will try later.
Sounds like you need the pliable "semi-metallic" type gasket. Is the inside of collar tapered?

What you have (the 41 x 49) are 3GD-14613-00 (#'s 1 & 26) which fit into the cylinder head and NOT #5, 1FK-14613-00 which you need.

Header-sealing-ring.jpg

Nope. That isn’t what I have.
But from what you have written it is the size you have?

It’s basically just a copper ring. The dimensions of this ring are 41 id and 49 o.d. (give or take half a mil)

Given that the dimensions are the same as in the example I posted that would suggest that it is intended for the exhaust port. That it is copper and not fibre doesn't change the fact.

Latest posts

Back