COP's fitted on 91 Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emempee

Reaction score
Was lucky enough to bid & buy off Fleebay a set of 07 R6 Mitsibushi COP's with wiring harness for ?15 including shipping ($24). These are the short coil sticks and make removal easy if you need to get to a plug. Bought from Eastern Beaver the plug end Sumitomo LOCK Type .250" Connectors to make the original coil connections ($2.49 each) so was able to make individual coil connectors that fit to OEM. Did the rear 2 first replacing each coil set up with the COP which sit perfectley within the headspace by pulling the rubber grommet down so it fits against the rocker cover. They don't move and are firm contacts on the plugs. The hose clamp on the near side rear water hose and offside front hose need to be manouvered sideways so the shorter tag is facing the middle and the longer tag is close to the rocker cover. The old coils were removed and using a larger phillips head bit in a 3/8 drive I was able to apply enough pressure to crack the screws and undo. The front coils sit under the electrical tray and after removing the side scoops, associated electrical componants from the offside, the cowling can be removed and the offside tray bolts removed. The nearside water manifold was unbolted and cowling removed along with ingition cover and removed ignition barrel. Nearside tray bolts removed, once the airfilter housing has been removed it's possible to move the tray forward enough to unbolt the coils again using a larger phillips bit to give positive location and a long 3/8 extention with ratchet you can give enough pressure to crack the screws. So once everthing was back together and COP's fitted with new spark plugs I crossed my fingers and turned the key, bingo fired straight up from cold with no choke (it's winter here in Thailand but that means it dops down to the upper 20's where I am) and definately sounded crisper. No lumpy tickover at just under 1k revs and first test ride blew me away, no hesitation on low pick up, V Boost surged and just had reaction time to think about changing up a gear, hit 145mph and I bottled out as it was difficult to hang on haa haa. Having read the forum about people prefering Denso's and some reporting problems with Misubushi I was very happy with these short coil sticks and maybe when I can source some resistors I will put them inline for safety but currently bike is running great.

I am fitting a 07 R1 R/R FH011 to upgrade elcetric am using the connection kit from Eastern Beaver so here is the links for anyone interested in same
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/main.html

The mod monkey has got me and my wallet is getting thin :punk:
Fitted 6pot Tokico's, Wavey disc's, COP's and R/R upgrade.
SS Braded lines to come

Attachments

• DSC02072.jpg
    DSC02072.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC02106.jpg
    DSC02106.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 51
Nice one Emempee!

Your name sounds like a traditional Thai name. Are you Thai?
Where in Thailand are you?

I noticed your posts before and have been meaning to ask you that. I have spent a few years in Thailand, mostly on the islands in the south west (Koh Tao) and I just LOVE the place. I never ever saw anything like a V-max there! You must be a god. :punk:

Quick question for ya. I just looked at that Eager Beaver place for the electrical connectors and the minimum order was $20. Did you have to buy $20 worth of stuff?

Welcome to VMF! :biglaugh:

Thanks for the welcome bazwell.
No I'm not Thai just a Brit taking early retirement in the Land of Smiles (my initials are MMP hence phonetic emempee handle). There are quite a few V-Max's over here but mainly Japanese 85bhp spec, it's more difficult to find full power US or Canadian spec and legally registered here which have not been abused by Thai mechanics. they also tend to be in Bangkock and the southern tourist areas or where there are large ex-pat communities. I am out in the boonies (mid Thailand, Issan area) so to speak so don't see many bigger bikes just the occasional HD which the Thai elite love. Still a local buddy of mine want's one and I think I have located and 04 model for him so I could have a buddy to ride with soon. This forum is the best I have come across and helped me through reading the many posts on what to look out for when I was looking for my Max. I restored English motorcycles for many years and rode rice rockets daily the last being an 07 R1 but the Max is just such a cool laid back cruiser which can be quick enough to get the juices flowing.

As for the second part of your question I used Eastern Beaver because I am also upgrading the R/R so wanted their wiring kit which is also supurb, makes OEM type fittment and keeps the bike looking stock so the cost was worth it. My order was well over $20 dollars so I had no worries and no duty charged by Thai customs.

Cool. Thailand rocks.
Issan was the least visited area by me.

On this forum, check out Captain Kyle. He can locate and send good vmax's from the US for you. It's totally do-able, provided you grease the right palms on that end! ;-)

Quick question for ya. I just looked at that Eager Beaver place for the electrical connectors and the minimum order was $20. Did you have to buy $20 worth of stuff?

i bought his fuse box when i bought the Sumitomo connectors, which more than covered the $20 minimum. i had been wanting an auxiliary fuse box for the longest time and when i was trolling the site looking for things to meet the minimum, i stumbled on the "Beaver Box" as i call it. BINGO! problems solved.

i recall Gannon (88vmx12) offering to sell just the connectors that he uses to build up the COP harnesses that he builds and sells.

Back