COPS gone bad.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy1ear

Reaction score
Bought 03-04 HONDA CBR600RR second hand coils on ebay with the harness for my '98.
Soldered up the harness and crimped on insulated spade lugs for the connection. Just rode the bike and it is not running too well, low power and a little rough. Am guessing one of them is not wired up well or 1 of the coils is not right. Made sure the front 2 fed the opposite cylinder. ohm'd out the coils and they were 1.5 ohms, not using resistors.
Any good ideas how to figure out if it is just one coil/harness?

Thought about going back to the oem coils on all but 1 and adding 1 at a time and taking a test ride after each but to this old guy that sounds like a bit of work.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Well is there anyway that you can swap out one COP with another one and then test drive it? You might be able to find a good used one from Ebay, use it, and swap it as needed. Or keep it as a spare? If that doesnt do it, you could probably figure on it being the harness.

If you suspect that it one of the COP's breaking down when try to establish which is the culprit by feeling the header temperature as it warms up.

If you don't want to risk your skin then an Infra Red thermometer can be picked up for little dosh.

Not only will it aid diagnosis, you can also use it to set your idle mixture and spend many a happy hour pointing at any object that takes your fancy.

You said you measured the primary winding and gave you a reading of 1.5 Ohm. Did you measure the secondary as that is the one that builds up the high tension for the spark? fetch a service manual for that bike online and go see the readings and compare...

Have a infrared thermometer and an ohm meter. Some handy tips, thanks much...

ok the thermal thing was brilliant. started it up and pointed it at the collar that pushes the exhaust into the cylinder on each one and one collar was at 85 and the others were around 200 so now I know what cylinder to look at. Thanks again..

About 20% or so of them are bad and why we have the pricing we have (so we can absorb those bad ones).

You know that irrational urge you have to give an engine more throttle when it bogs down?
Takes on a whole new meaning with the vmax. Thing bogs but when it catches you'd better hang on!
Ohm'ed out suspect coil through my modded up harness and found no difference between them. Did the same between the output and the both the + & - leads and they all looked the same as well.
Ran the thing for about an hour and it got better...? Had the carbs sync'ed up at a local shop, they said they needed rebuilt so I let them. On my first long ride I had gas coming out of one of the overflow pipes that is mounted to the airbox cover. It stopped leaking after I rode it a bit (rolling Molotov cocktail as I had a beer can from the side of the road to catch the gas after i routed the hose outside the fake cover). So maybe my carb issue is back. Used to have a popping noise on deceleration but that has stopped.
Probably would not have done the mod but my plug wires were sketchy and thought if i was going to change them i would just do the upgrade.
Another observation, when i checked the temp again on the exhaust collars after my ride i got the following.
Both right about 275
Both left about 230
Just remembered another test i did. Put an amp meter clamp on my modded harness and got about 1 amp on all of them, didn't matter which lead i tested.

Latest posts

Back