COP's

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulVmax

Reaction score
Hey I have been reading a lot on the COP’S mod it seems like a good mod but a few things I am unsure of:
  • Will I need a resister if so where?
  • Dose it effect the v boost system?
  • How complicated is it ?

My coils are playing up so this MOD would be beneficial to myself.

Cheers

Will not work with the sasy vboost module upgrade.. Other then that works great . I did discover a cracked coil when replacing with cop's .I didn't remove front to much pain of ass !!

Will not work with the sasy vboost module upgrade.. Other then that works great . I did discover a cracked coil when replacing with cop's .I didn't remove front to much pain of ass !!

Same here...my front coils are still there....just disconnected. I will remove them eventually...have the back coils completely removed.

Hey trumahawk i have read throught that posts and resistors was meantioned but no definate yes you have to use them

Well originally resistors were placed on the harness's....and have worked fine, but now some people (and I cant remember the thread) have said that they've run several years without the resistors, and not had an issue.

The original thought was that without the resistors that it might fry your TCI, but like I said, several people stated the opposite. Now...from what I remember you CANNOT run the Dyna 3000 without the resistors. I have resistors on mine (an 07 model) and haven't had an issue.

I think ill put the resistors in as a matter of course prevention is better than cure thanks for the info !!!!!!!

Resistors are recommended on the early TCI units-yours. Because, it brings the primary side of the coil circuit back to OEM resistance levels. All I can attest to is no issue using the resistors. If you intend to use an Ignatech ignition, resistors are not needed. Gannon is the best one to talk to about this for sure.

Trouble is that very few posts actually say what power rating you need for the resistors. 10W are quite large, 25 - 50W are very large. I am in the process of making up my own leads and am going to try 10W 1ohm wire wound 2% and see how hot they get.

Hey I have been reading a lot on the COP’S mod it seems like a good mod but a few things I am unsure of:
  • Will I need a resister if so where?
  • Dose it effect the v boost system?
  • How complicated is it ?
My coils are playing up so this MOD would be beneficial to myself.

Cheers

Here's another question for you.

What model Denso coils are you guessing about ?

Well, I can see why Gannon isn't gonna 'spill the beans,' he's invested time and $ in getting us a product priced fairly. I have a set and like them, they are true 'plug & play.' I have more room under the seat.

I don't think anyone should be offended if he isn't answering questions about the system's components, other than to answer things related to his install, for ex. If you want to try your own install, and are successful, and choose to post it up, then that's your choice, and some of the guys will follow your lead. You don't have to be an electrical engineer to determine the appropriate path to take, but it helps to have a working knowledge of electrical theory. It seems the '85-'89 ignition boxes are susceptible to no resistors, from what has been posted by some members, and the Dyna boxes, but I dunno, I haven't had any problems w/Gannon's setup w/my '92 and a Dyna 3000.

Yep, there are a lot of variances, and I don't mind paying someone else who has done the sourcing, experimentation, and manufacturing for a reasonably-priced product.

I think a $300 plastic headlight is more-than I am willing to pay, as an example. My EMGO 7" round light bucket, brackets, and a used clear lens Harley-sourced ran me about $150, and I may choose to do a ddmtuning H4 upgrade sometime, but I am satisfied w/the light output for now w/a halogen lamp in it.

I am gonna continue to read about your COP's experimentation, as I have a wire harness of a ZX7 I might decide to use for another set, depending on what you discover. I also have its USD front fork, wheel, calipers/rotors/master cyl too. "Monkey, get thee behind me!"

Well, I can see why Gannon isn't gonna 'spill the beans,' he's invested time and $ in getting us a product priced fairly. I have a set and like them, they are true 'plug & play.' I have more room under the seat.

I don't think anyone should be offended if he isn't answering questions about the system's components, other than to answer things related to his install, for ex. If you want to try your own install, and are successful, and choose to post it up, then that's your choice, and some of the guys will follow your lead. You don't have to be an electrical engineer to determine the appropriate path to take, but it helps to have a working knowledge of electrical theory. It seems the '85-'89 ignition boxes are susceptible to no resistors, from what has been posted by some members, and the Dyna boxes, but I dunno, I haven't had any problems w/Gannon's setup w/my '92 and a Dyna 3000.

Yep, there are a lot of variances, and I don't mind paying someone else who has done the sourcing, experimentation, and manufacturing for a reasonably-priced product.

I think a $300 plastic headlight is more-than I am willing to pay, as an example. My EMGO 7" round light bucket, brackets, and a used clear lens Harley-sourced ran me about $150, and I may choose to do a ddmtuning H4 upgrade sometime, but I am satisfied w/the light output for now w/a halogen lamp in it.

I am gonna continue to read about your COP's experimentation, as I have a wire harness of a ZX7 I might decide to use for another set, depending on what you discover. I also have its USD front fork, wheel, calipers/rotors/master cyl too. "Monkey, get thee behind me!"

From what i have read the stk TCI works fine with no resistors on the earlier models like mine

Medic thanks for your input.

PaulVmax don't get offended like Medic said. I truly am a helpful guy and very giving ask a few here on the site that have dealt with me. I can give you two answers about your post on CDI's you choose what one to run with. I am sure that you will figure it out by my statements #1 " you better keep reading and dig deeper" #2 "Go ahead and do that and please tell us how it works out for you"

:punk: G

Gannon i have read trough 3 different threads could you please tell me how it would end if i dig deeper :) also i see you make the leads are you still making them if so how much for a set of the cables ?

Back