Correct Valve Shim Replacement

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RagingMain

Reaction score
Hello All
Yet another question about the proper shim size.

For example my #1 exhaust measured in at .20mm and the shim removed was a 250 (2.5mm)

The book calls for .26-.30mm clearance. So if I am calculating correct my shim obviously has to be thinner.

If I go with a 245 shim that will only give me .25mm clearance and if I go with a 240 shim that will put me at the outer edge with .30mm.

From what I understand it is better to go loose so as the valve wears into the head the clearance will decrease. Can any one verify this for me and my calculations above, please???

Thanks in advance.
Cheers.

Thanks Mr Maxx
I will do my best to make sure they are all the same (as best as possible)
Cheers

When using the feeler gauges, since they go in at a slight angle what is the best way to get a feel for it.

Reason being, #2 ehaust, both the .20mm & .23mm fit. The .20 slides easily and the .23 has the tiniest bit of friction.

Reason I ask is when we are aligning pumps/motors at work we are using the feelers straight on with no bend in them.

Thanks
Cheers

example. if a 004 fits try an 005 .. if it wont go then yure at 004

should b very little drag. dont force the feeler.

another tip.

write down all yure current shims and clearaces and then work out what u need. sometimes u can swap shims around 2 get u in spec.

Latest posts

Back