craigslist thief

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
This is not bike related but its a good story.

One of our workers had our truck at his house for a few days last week. On Monday, he came in to work to load up for the week and noticed there were a bunch of tools missing from his truck. I was out of the office that day visiting job sites so I had him make a list of what was missing and told him we would go over the situation on Tuesday.

On Tuesday we take inventory and he hits the road. I spent some time researching our tool database for model #s and serial #s, and prices. He called me around noon and said to check out craigslist because he thinks he sees a couple items on there. I took a look and sure enough, I found 3 of our tools listed. On one of the tools, a cordless drill/impact/sawzall kit, I could see our company barcode sticker in the photo!

I got my list compiled and called the local police. No officer on duty was available. I left a Voicemail but have not received a call back yet! That's 4 days. Well, when I didn't get anyone I called my constable friend right away. We discussed some ideas and he suggested I call the police from the area the truck was parked when the tools were stolen.

I got in touch with an officer that is the nephew of our mechanic at work. He also know the guy who drives the truck for us. He was very interested in helping and told me to call his station so we could work on a plan.

He had me call the # in the craigslist ad and arrange a meeting in his jurisdiction. The thief wouldn't meet me there so I told him maybe we could meet up tomorrow (Wednesday). I called the officer back and he said he would see what could be done to set something up for Wednesday.

He did some research and found out this thief was wanted by the us marshalls and had warrants out for his arrest. He contacted the local us Marshall office and state police and got them on board for a setup on Wednesday.

Wednesday morning I borrowed a phone and called the the thief. No answer. I tried a couple more time thru the day and sent a text. I did this while keeping in touch with the police. He kept telling me we could do this anytime, anywhere with the marshal's and state police backing him. Jurisdiction was no longer an issue.

Wednesday came and went with now return call. The officer called me Thursday morning and said they haven't given up and were going to try and plan something that day. I was not involved with anything that follows but its pretty cool!

The officer worked withe the marshal's and state police that day. They got my constable friends partner, another constable, to call the thief and set up a meeting. He got in touch with the thief and they set a location. The constable met with everyone and they showed him a photo of the guy they are expecting to find. He was told that if this is who you see flash a signal behind your back and we will come in.

The constable met up with the thief, it was the man they were looking for. He flashed the signal and 20+ officers swarmed in from every direction! They arrested him on the spot. He was driving a stolen vehicle, loaded with stolen goods, carrying a stolen hand gun!

I got news of the arrest from the officer who I had been talking to and from my constable friend. I turned in all the paperwork I had regarding the tools along with a cost of them. The cost was over $6K. The officer just called me this morning saying I may be able to go in next week and claim some of our tools. The bad part is the thief does not have an address on record so they do not know where to search to find all my tools. They were working on search warrants for the thief's girlfriends address in hopes of finding some stuff there. They said this guy has ads for all types of things all over the internet so they feel he has a storage place somewhere. Another issue may come up if the serial #s for the tools are gone. Im not sure if I will get them back if they have been removed.

On another note, this guy also posted ads for home cleaning services. He would come in with his girlfriend and rob homes and sell the goods.

Im glad he was caught but I will be a lot happier if we get our stuff back. Only time will tell.

wow at least there was some closure, crazy story, but def not uncommon either!

What about the GF?................Hopefully the can connect her and take them both off the street!....................What an A-HOLE..........

Great story! You could of put a gun in his face at any time and robbed his azz. He gonna call the cops? But really, good job. Take a tazer after him now. Bet he'll talk n tell ya where he lived.:biglaugh:

I just put a 20 foot camper for sale on Craigslist. Gonna have a hard time mailing that!

Back