Crazy backrest price

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You would have to be crazy to spend that much on a backrest. Period. And if it is Cornface phantom bidding I hope he gets caught and banned.

Jon cut me a deal for a megaphone for my UFO Dragstar 4/1. It had the (very loud) 'bologna-cut' shorty tip, and I wanted to get his megaphone. I had him make me one and got both large & smaller opening inserts, he cut me a fair deal off advertised prices & shipping for the lot.

I know some people have had issues w/him, but he's always patiently answered any questions when I have called or emailed him. His work is very-good for his products from what I have purchased.

And best-of-all, at Daytona, the UFO 4/1 pulled the Harley bikers out of the bar where I was 'running hot' for a couple of passes in-front of it. No drag start, just some VBoost in first-third. It was up the street from Boxenstopp's. I like that blue metalflake paint job Joe has, done by one of his customers who is also a gunsmith.

My very first eBay experience, I bought a British locomotive pedal car from a stateside seller, and once the auction was over, the seller refused to send the goods. Luckily I hadn't paid him. I tried to get something done thru eBay but nothing came of-it. At least I didn't lose my $!

Attachments

• Daytona Bike Week 2012 006.jpg
    Daytona Bike Week 2012 006.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 23
He has never done anything to me personally so I cant say much but I have seen a few of his auctions go like this so it makes me wonder.

Me neither, other than a threat to kick my ass. I thought that was more funny than anything. Then again I won't risk spending my $ on anything with the name attached to it.

You would be amazed how many specialized eBay sellers use friends or phantom bidders. I used to work with a guy who's wire and daughter would bid up each other's auctions.

A friend of mine up here sold a carb on eBay and the guy he sold it to, left negative feedback on how it was busted and would never work, then started the process to get his $300 back from paypal. He didn't win and my friend got to keep the money. How did he win? He showed eBay and paypal that the negative feedback and refund request took place a day before the carb was in the mail.

Your comparing apples to oranges though. Used, regardless on how nice it is , is not NOS.

If you can buy a TV off craigslist for $200 and still buy it new at Best Buy for $400, then your looking at the same idea here. Regardless on whether or not its worth $850 is one persons view over another.

I ve sold used items for $150 and then had a NOS version and sell it for $450 because they were doing a full on restoration and wanted new in box. So its not the question in how much we think its worth market value, but rather how much someone else is willing to spend on it.

My closing line will be...... How many COMPLETE NOS setups have you seen in the last couple years? This is the first COMPLETE setup I have seen. I ve seen pads, or the rh side rail etc. But never a complete package like this.

Todd

Your comparing apples to oranges though. Used, regardless on how nice it is , is not NOS.

If you can buy a TV off craigslist for $200 and still buy it new at Best Buy for $400, then your looking at the same idea here. Regardless on whether or not its worth $850 is one persons view over another.

I ve sold used items for $150 and then had a NOS version and sell it for $450 because they were doing a full on restoration and wanted new in box. So its not the question in how much we think its worth market value, but rather how much someone else is willing to spend on it.

My closing line will be...... How many COMPLETE NOS setups have you seen in the last couple years? This is the first COMPLETE setup I have seen. I ve seen pads, or the rh side rail etc. But never a complete package like this.

Todd

Now that I can understand...but there are VERY few Vmax's that are ever gonna be mint. Most people want a vmax...and NOT keep it 100% stock. So even if a "nice" one, will get painted, chromed or powder coated to the color of the person's choice.

Thats a heck of a deal I would say. I ve seen "restored" ones on here for $400 and I thought that was a fair price...... regardless its never market value, but what someone is willing to pay for anything in question.

Wow $850 is this for real, I paid last year for 1 new $325.00 with free shipping.

I bought a couple NOS ones last year and sold one here I think for $350. Seriously, nobody is going to spend 850 for a backrest, this is SHILL BIDDING at it's finest, plain and simple. Happens on eBay all the time, he will just relist it in a week or so, and anybody else who saw this auction now "thinks" they are worth big bucks, and will be more likely to overpay for the next one. Classic eBay shenanigans, and guess what? They are fine with it! There is a guy in Ohio who has been shill bidding his Honda V65 parts for YEARS, and eBay continues to let him do it, because they make their money off of the sellers! He has been reported MANY a times, but eBay lets him continue to do it. This guy has single handedly artificially inflated V65 parts by literally 20-25% over the years, he is an absolute crook, has been banned from ALL the forums, but eBay let's him continue to do it. Another reason that eBay SUCKS!!!!!!

The fact that it came off a "running" 1999 VMax definitely adds value. The labels identifying the right and left side rails also was painstakingly done to ease your assembly process! I should have kept mine too. The flaking clearcoat could have been best described as "patina" or "weathering" which would have made it much more valuable. :rofl_200:

Todd

Shill bidding is just way too easy to get away with. As said, while it's against ebay's rules, they don't really go out of their way to enforce it or even respond to complaints.

Cornell has been known to have puppet accounts on forums so he could post glowing reviews about himself and "agree" with himself about suggestions. Partially why he's been banned from both here and starvmax. So it's not really surprising he would have another ebay account to bid up his own auctions.

I bought one last year. It was a second. The machining was incomplete. It's sitting in the factory box it came in. Expensive lesson about trust. One of these days I'll drive up to my friends shop and borrow his mill. It shouldn't take to long to match it up to my old one.

I'm betting that ZXFYL will "find" another NOS backrest in his bulk purchase that will start out at a higher price just because "the market price is up for them now".

Latest posts

Back