Cursed Zook

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piercew

Reaction score
So my wife lowsided her '83 GS550 the other day, presumably due to a sticking float. I got the carbs sorted out, I think, but when I took it out the damn thing dies when I pull the clutch in and snaps back to life when let it out. I under the clutch is taking some load off but not enough. I did the cable adjust per the Clymer manual tonight and no joy, still can't move the rear wheel with the clutch pulled in. This is a little beyond my experience so I was hoping you gents might give a little guidance. I guess the next step is to pull out the clutch? Should I pull it out and inspect first or order some new parts to have ready. The bike is showing 12,600 on the odometer. Thanks for the advice, yet again.

Bill

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Sounds like the clutch plates are stuck. Start it up and push it fast enough to pop it in 1st gear. Mount the bike , pull the clutch in and romp on the throttle. If the plates are stuck this should break them loose......

Well, if that doesn't work, you may need to remove the clutch side cover & the pressure plate, and the alternating stack of 'steelies' and friction discs, and soak each friction disc in oil and reassemble. You just need to get some fresh oil on them, if the oil has drained-off them, and the entire friction disc and 'steelie' pack is stuck together. This will also give you a chance to see that the pressure plate moves when you actuate the clutch lever, cover-off.

If it was working correctly before the wreck, perhaps there is damage to something causing the issue?

So my wife lowsided her '83 GS550 the other day, presumably due to a sticking float. I got the carbs sorted out, I think, but when I took it out the damn thing dies when I pull the clutch in and snaps back to life when let it out. I under the clutch is taking some load off but not enough. I did the cable adjust per the Clymer manual tonight and no joy, still can't move the rear wheel with the clutch pulled in. This is a little beyond my experience so I was hoping you gents might give a little guidance. I guess the next step is to pull out the clutch? Should I pull it out and inspect first or order some new parts to have ready. The bike is showing 12,600 on the odometer. Thanks for the advice, yet again.

Bill

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

As mentioned, sounds like the plates are sticking. Since you had float problems, one guess would be that you had a "flooding" issue. If so, some of the fuel more than likely ended up in the crank case, diluting the oil. Have you warmed the bike up and changed the engine oil yet? Then afterwards, try to adjust for the correct free play in clutch lever....best guess is approx 4 mm free play. Good luck!

Back