Custom rear swingarms...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Garret, sorry about the rant. But when I saw that I was caught off guard and I took it like he meant how it is now. He told me before he didn't like my setup cause "it was too clunky" Cause if anyone just read that without knowing all the time and issues I had and that I had it finally done right I just thought it made my bike sound like its a POS. But, you may be right and I should have approached it with a bit more finesse. But, I'm still not sure it was meant to imply he meant after. I should have just wrote " yea, before Jedi made it how it should have been in the first place". My Swingarm almost had me to the point of giving up on the bike but I knew if I could get it made the way Steve did it I should be good to go. And Thanks Sean for chimeing in that it's stronger than either of the above mentioned ones now. Your opinion means ALOT more around here than mine ever would. So if Fred Meant before, then I apologize but if he meant in general then I think you guys know what I'd probably say too. Just didn't want everyone here to think my bike was a piece of shit after all I've done and been through with it. Ok, second rant over. Lol

Ed you have a very nice bike. and i am sure Fred didn't want to offend you. and no don't give up on your V-max.

I have seen "junk" sold by a few so called vendors on this forum. As far as the madmax rearend goes at least he had the balls to put his idea out here and guys like Ed and myself have the perseverance to make it and anything else these mod magnets challenge us with. The haves build it, the don'ts criticize it .

Maybe this isn't the right place to make this comment, but Gent, I absolutely LOVE the look of your MAX. Love it. Definitely one of my all time favorite looks. Not over the top radical (which can be ok sometimes) but VERY badasss looking.

Just didn't want everyone here to think my bike was a piece of shit after all I've done and been through with it. Ok, second rant over. Lol

Ed, anyone who would think your bike is a piece of shit is a complete dumbass. Comment struck me funny too so it's not just you bud.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Just didn't want everyone here to think my bike was a piece of shit

I just took a look at your album, and I have to say that you bike is simply OUTSTANDING!!! Very nicely done machine you have there!
pinkiehappy.png

I just took a look at your album, and I have to say that you bike is simply OUTSTANDING!!! Very nicely done machine you have there!

Yes it is and it's even sweeter looking in person !
It looks great all lit up at night too !!!

Hi guys, Soory if this is hijacking the thread, it seams like there's a few guys on here that know a thing or two about wide swingarms.
I have a fat max gear driven offset swinging arm that accomodates my 300 rear. I don't know much about it at all as I bought it off a dude that had broke it. There was a couple of teeth missing off the internal gears. It's all ok now and on the road, the only issue I have is there is no breather and so when it gets hot it tend to weep a little oil. I know I can fix this by fitting a breather at a high point and is something I'll do later.
My main question is does anyone have experience with these arms, are they prone to breaking? can you get harder gears? (it uses vmax gearbox gears).
Oh yeah, since I rebuilt the arm I have modified my rear wheel hub and added a cush drive because basically it didn't have one and I thought it may reduce the shock loading on the gears.
Anyone know anything?

It's hard to tell with Paul on how it did it. I do have the custom made gears we originally did for eds' arm that he would like to sell. It uses the large multilink chain compared to the triple chain on it now.

There would need to be three gears if doing an all geared version and the noise would be noticeable for sure!

Hi guys, Soory if this is hijacking the thread, it seams like there's a few guys on here that know a thing or two about wide swingarms.
I have a fat max gear driven offset swinging arm that accomodates my 300 rear. I don't know much about it at all as I bought it off a dude that had broke it. There was a couple of teeth missing off the internal gears. It's all ok now and on the road, the only issue I have is there is no breather and so when it gets hot it tend to weep a little oil. I know I can fix this by fitting a breather at a high point and is something I'll do later.
My main question is does anyone have experience with these arms, are they prone to breaking? can you get harder gears? (it uses vmax gearbox gears).
Oh yeah, since I rebuilt the arm I have modified my rear wheel hub and added a cush drive because basically it didn't have one and I thought it may reduce the shock loading on the gears.
Anyone know anything?

Post pictures of it, its easier to understand what you say. Personally i prefer to work with Ujoints as using a set of gears will allow for too much slack and i don't like the offset look of the swinger. Heres a picture of the setup i had... Oh an the second picture its just laying there for visualization, it works on a narrower angle.

Attachments

• IMG_2391_1.jpg
    IMG_2391_1.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2382.jpg
    IMG_2382.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 61
hi wild Weasel this is Paul I am the originator of the fat tire kits you see out there. If you or anyone else has a problem I am happy to help you. Call me at 2035747859

I have no problem with it Paul. I was just mentioning a problem that Ed had. Thanks for chiming in though...

The biggest issue I had with mine was the gears were welded instead of all one piece. I really gotta say Paul is a first rate Machinest. He did incredible work making the hubs to make the PM wheels fit a Vmax that were intended for a Vrod. And I still would definetly choose gears to ujoints any day, any way. You gotta give credit to anyone who devotes their efforts to the betterment of the Vmax. We're all in the same boat with the like issues and I'm glad there are people like Paul, Sean, Steve just to name a few cause without these guys we'd all be riding these a lot less custom to our personal preferences. I understand there's competition amongst vendors but you have that in every business. It's just too bad so few share the same vision of what is the best. But I do know my Fat tire HOOKS up. It may rob a bit of power to have it but I think It makes up for the traction factor. What good is even 2-300 hp if it just spins.

I've been away from this site for a few years. Some of you know me as Chromax, this is Scott from Tampa. I think I have enough experience with fat tire kits and dealing with Mad Max as anyone. I purchased the first 250 shaft drive swing arm that was ever put into production anywhere is the US and the world. It was a double universal yoke set up with a shortened driveshaft. It was strong but had some balance / vibration issues. Never had any issues with durability. This kit is still running around the area on a 1985 Vmax. The replacement design was a gear driven kit from Paul, much smoother, much quieter, only issue was pressure from the sloshing oil and the rear citron seal had a small leak. A replacement seal was sent and I installed without issue. I burned off one defective tire in a cloud of smoke that required the neighbors to call the fire dept as they had no idea where the smoke was coming from. The swing arm was solid and looked fantastic. I never missed a dyne shootout at bike week, many of you know the bike.

When I heard Avon was building a 300mm tire I quickly called Mad Max and he began fabricating a wider rim and swing arm to accompany the new rubber. I had Avon drop ship the tire at a significant expense and I don't know of another running (not rolling) 300 tire kit in the US. I documented the build and posted photos on Bike Bandit immediately. It can probably be googled and located. The new gears was vented, had a sight glass, and was bulletproof. The bike is still running strong and looking fantastic in Australia!

So I have had 3 fat tire swing arm kits, all from Mad Max, the innovator of the fat tire shaft drive set-up, I know because I was in his shop and told him if he would build it I would buy it. His kits have evolved and each successive version was better, stronger, quieter. No driveshaft component is bulletproof, and if some of them broke I am sure it wasn't because of normal wear and tear. Heck, even a stock bike with all of Yamaha's millions of dollars of tooling broke once in a while if abused and beaten up at the strip or on the street. Every Vmax fabricator has had a few issues with components that are pushed hard. But whenever I had an issue with Mad Max he would make it right. I hear people bashing all of the vendors on this site from time to time, and most of the time I just move on to another thread. But when I personally know the product and the guy who made it, I felt it necessary to speak up. I am glad there are guys out there like Paul, and Sean, and John pushing the envelope on performance and style, so to all of you I say thanks! If anyone wants more detail just give me a call or shoot me an email. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back