cyl. #3 weak spark

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamster66

Reaction score
VERY faint spark on cyl. #3..... run great one day and later on #3 went.
I just recently replaced the stator and pu coils with used ones (2 mos ago)
I checked it with a meter and all are running the same ohms (pu coils)
the cdi box seems pretty warm so I'm wondering if its about to go!
also....the white plug near the cdi box (I think it goes to the ignition switch....has a red, brown and 1 or 2 other wires on it) is REAL hot to the touch!
any ideas???

UPDATE!
I tested the connectors for each coil (on the harness side....not coil side)
ALL didnt read except for the #3 connector....set at 200 ohms it read somewhere around 72.1

Weird, my #3 on harness side reads 441 Ohms. I'm not sure why that coil is special.

Somewhere, those two harness wires are connected. Could be fuel pump, vboost, etc.

anyone have an extra working set of pu coils they wanna get rid of?
I took my COP's off so I'd be willing to trade them for some.
I'm betting I got a set of pu coils that were ready to go.

Just curious,,,,,,,,,,, why did you remove the COP's? I have them on my bike and would never go back. The cold starting is great and they run perfect.

Vinnie

ran great for me too....originally I thought they were the problem but once I pulled them and put the coils back on, it will be too much of a PITA to unhook all the old and put the cops back on

well, today I got it fired up....still no #3 cyl.
I took it up the road....come back and noticed smoke coming out from under the airbox.
Took everything off and pulled the cdi box out....HOTTER than hell and smoking!
Would a short somewhere cause it to smoke/short out or the fact that it's been cracked (the outer case) and epoxied together.
Birdoprey is sending me a cdi box to test but I dont wanna risk burning it out!
I'm hoping I dont have to tear into the wiring harness to look for a short!

Back