dead cylinder... confused

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justrawbee

Reaction score
so my 94 max acted like it fouled a plug the other day. I gimped home (a mile or so) and i can't figure out what is up with it. rear right cylinder is dead. has spark. and plug is wet... when i put on the choke it seems to heat up with the others. i pulled the gas line and ran a bunch of seafoam in to the carbs and let them sit. drained bowls/refilled several times. nothing. i pulled the airbox, using a plastic syringe i shot seafoam through the jets. nothing. i am thinking plugged slow jet? problem is i have no book for the bike.. is the slow jet in the top of the carb next to the main? there looks to be one that maybe is pressed in? but looks to have a pretty large orifice... idk.... frustrating. any ideas?:bang head:

Maybe the mixture screw is blocked?
Air leak around the rubber carb mounts/balancing port?
Spark is too weak/plug gap too wide?

I get a dead cylinder now and again but it's almost always after I was working around the battery and moved the coil connectors (even though I have COPs now)
Just check that everything is plugged in nicely and the spark plug covers are properly insulated etc

very helpful guys. thank you so much. I will let you know how I make out. I'm finishing up a xs650 bobber and I will be back on the max this weekend.

xs bobber... mmmm
I would never be able to decide between a cafe/tracker/bobber - one of each maybe?

Yamaha-Xs-650-Cafe-Racer-side-view-630x420.jpg

DSC_9176b_fs.jpg

Yamaha-XS650-Bobber-Motorcycle.jpeg

Needs spark, timing, fuel, and compression to fire. Plugs wet so your getting fuel. Timings ok or it wouldn't run at the other 3. So that leaves spark and compression. I would check to see your are getting a strong spark, then do a compression test. Good luck with it, let us know what you find!

Should have stated this before.... i had great fire, and switched plugs (thinking maybe it wasn't sparkimg under compression) same cyl dead. So anyway did the shotgun blast thing. And it came right out of it. Thinking i should pull the rest of em apart and do em all. But for now she's running like a champ again! Thanks everyone! Back to the xs. that is till the old ladys bike needs something. Lol

Back