Delkevic cans

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diablo

Reaction score
I like angry sounding bikes. I grew up thinking bikes should be loud. My first bikes were japanese and were fairly quiet. Then i heard an old ducati 900ss with flat slides and open cans and I was hooked on the raucous noise it made. Two ducatis and a screaming zx7r later and I now own a Vmax, but for a legendary power house of a bike, it was way too quiet for my liking. I have now fixed that with a set of Delkevic short (nine inch?) pipes on the max. For those who like to keep their centre stand, these pipes are fine with it, one of the link pipes has the bump stop welded on for centre stand users.
I opted for the slipons with delkevics own link pipes. Its not the prettiest of unions between yamahas own pipework and delkevics arrangement, but at the same time its not ugly either. Any reservations i had about the looks soon disappeared anyway. There was one thing i didnt like thats worth pointing out to anyone thinking of doing the same thing. Unlike yamahas silencer, the delkevic link pipe doesnt slide under the stainless steel 'pretty pretty make me look like a better exhaust than i am' exhaust plate that yamaha weld onto their pipework.
Put simply, It means that you have an inch of black pipe showing where the delkevic link pipe meets yamahas. It annoyed me every time i looked at it so after staring at it for a good while and deciding painting it silver wasnt an option, i dug out some stainless steel mesh and got creative, wrapping it around the offending blackness and clamping it with the delkevic jubilee clip. Its now a talking point for anyone who looks close enough, one of my buddys has already asked 'I wonder why they do it that way?'. He was going over it with a fine toothed comb though and i figure most people likely wont see it. I think it looks a million times better than a piece of skinny black pipe in amongst the mass of steelwork.
I also tapped the stainless steel original cover plate a little closer to the pipe at at end to make it sit a little neater. Its not flattened to it so should a retrofit of the original silencer be done it isnt going to be an issue.

If i can find a before picture showing the black bit i will post it here along with how it looks with the mesh in place. A short before and after video for standard vs delkevic should be here too by the time i hit post.

I should apologise for the tickover upfront, the bike had just come in after a run when the first half of the video was taken so was running higher than the cold tickover speed of the second half of the video. Not that it matters, the change in exhaust note is obvious. I have kept the baffles in solely as the law around here would take a dim view of fully open pipes, at least with the baffles in there is something to give a nod in the direction of sound reduction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR5c6gtbXXU

Attachments

• IMG_8427.jpg
    IMG_8427.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_8428.jpg
    IMG_8428.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_4798.jpg
    IMG_4798.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
I had them on mine and I like the sound and looks. You probably lose 15lbs just by removing the stock cans.:punk:

Back