Departing for the Diavel

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auto2350

Reaction score
I know I'll catch all sorts of hell here but I have left for the dark side. After owning a VMAX for 20 years I decided to make a change. I have been in and out of the Ducati dealer for the past 6 weeks and this weekend I finally pulled the trigger on a new Diavel. This bike is as close to a VMAX as you can get in terms of raw power and torque(rider feel that is). The Diavel is 200lbs less and handles much closer to the super bikes than the MAX does. I absolutely love the power of the VMAX but I just couldn't get over some of its short comings such as fuel capacity/consumption, traction control, and handling. Don't get me wrong it handles quite well but not close to the handling I need to cut through the twisties. The fuel issue was a major factor for me. I will ride my bike as often as I can and at 22mpg and a 4g capacity, it just didn't go well. I should get at least an extra 70 miles on the Diavel. For those of you that have not ridden this bike you should try to some day. Anyone interested in a 2015 VMAX, I'll be letting it go for $12K. Bike has a Corbin back rest and includes a 5 year warranty. 6500 miles.

Sorry you are seller your Vmax But if the Diavel suits you better then more power to you.

Nothing wrong with the Diavels, they are kick ass bikes, and most of the comparos I've seen done only have it a few tenths behind the VMAX in quarter mile times. If twisties is your thing, that's definitely the route to go, and I agree about the less than 100 mile range on the new VMAX's, absolutely ridiculous. :punk:

Just because your switching bikes doesn't mean you have to leave here !! I know a local ducati owner he keeps bugging to come try some of his bikes I told him if I was to cut my wrist and pour blood on the pavement it would spell vmax .. I will stop by and see how they run one day this summer for sure ..GLWS of you bike also

Enjoy the new ride! I have heard awesome things about them. I didnt realize the gen 2 was a 22mpg bike, that would throw me a bit to. Hit the twisties and have fun, dont let anyone give you any guff :punk:

Congrats on the change . Are you getting the Carbon Fiber model ?

Attachments

• Duc Diavel C.F. 2.jpg
    Duc Diavel C.F. 2.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Duc Diavel C.F..jpg
    Duc Diavel C.F..jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 70
Last week, the bike dealer over here was trying to talk me into that bike.. I went in there looking to see if they got rid of a 2013 VMax, that was there for 2 years. I figured I'd run some numbers past him to see if I could finance it.. It was gone.. :bang head: Oh well..

Enjoy your new ride bro..

Well you won't have the joys of trouble-shooting a 1980's design into functional usefulness, nor the Gen II ECU mods, the $4K Carbon Fiber wheels, the exhaust change-outs... but you will have lots of fun on a bike that sounds like it's more for your type of riding, and that's a very personal thing.

The CF model the mags say is $22K, a bit much for me, but then I'm a cheap SOB. Your entries here will be more of the reminiscing type than they are of the discussions about what's going on w/our rides, but anyone who likes the VMax, regardless of what you're riding now, should be welcome here.

I didnt realize the gen 2 was a 22mpg bike, that would throw me a bit to.

Well it's not......it does better than that.

And it doesn't weigh 200 lbs. more than the Diavel either.

And it's well documented to be MUCH less reliable than the Max.

But......it's a cool bike! I saw a new Diavel X a few weeks ago at a bike night, it looks like it's custom built. Very nice.

Now if I could just find one that would race me........the guy on the X said "No thanks". :)

Best of luck with it.

IMG_20160511_203444.jpg

The polished unpainted side of the engine design reminds me of Edward Scissorhands. I would paint that over if I had one, first thing.

Read about the Ducati Diavel and watched a few videos before I had one park next to my Vmax. I was impressed. I have been looking at a few used ones, but they are still pricey.
You should keep them both bikes and post your experiences with the differences.

Well it's not......it does better than that.

And it doesn't weigh 200 lbs. more than the Diavel either.

And it's well documented to be MUCH less reliable than the Max.

But......it's a cool bike! I saw a new Diavel X a few weeks ago at a bike night, it looks like it's custom built. Very nice.

Now if I could just find one that would race me........the guy on the X said "No thanks". :)

Best of luck with it.

View attachment 53811

My gas light comes on anywhere between 65-70 miles. I get to a station with about 75 and add 3.3+ gal so do the math. Maybe its 23. The Diavle is 516lbs vs 683lbs for the VMAX, so you are right but still 167lbs. The weight is very noticeable especially getting off the VMAX and onto the Diavel. I can't deny the reliability of a Yamaha but I have a 5 year warranty so I feel good about that. I have been and still do bleed Yamaha blue. Yamaha Viper, VMAX, YZF400. No serious issues with any! As far as a race goes, I'm all in. I'll let you chose the road course and we can do a few laps.:biglaugh: I would love to keep both bikes but its not something that is negotiable. You want this then get rid of that scenario. Bitch! I see myself coming back to the VMAX someday but I no longer have my R1(had to sell the 2005 VMAX and R1 for 2015 VMAX) and can only keep one bike so this seems to be a great bike for now.

biggest question will be which forum is the best.

http://www.diavel-forum.com/

...and how much will it hurt losing a race to the guy you sell your Vmax to....

maybe if you make some cardboard scoops you can still show up to thunder...

Stop light to stop light, the VMAX is king. But get past that last light and into rural America and there is no question that the Diavel is wearing the crown. This bike has the speed, power, and handling characteristics that make it a great all around ride. A friend of mine piloted the VMAX against me and the Diavel. VMAX was a clear winner by 2-3 bike lengths 5 out of 5 races. With me aboard the VMAX the Diavel would win. it was much easier to launch the Diavel than the VMAX. Anyhow, nice talking to you all. the VMAX is sold and will be leaving for Poland this weekend! I guess its not easy to get one of these out there.

glad i found this discussion

I ride a 1995 vmax and want more power or at least better power to weight ratio. Been looking into vmax 1700's sat on one at the dealership felt longer and definately heavier and I'm thinking all this bulk for under 200hp and for all that money---i would get a used one for around $10,000

then i was looking at diavel haven't seen one in person

also looking at hayabusa b king and theres a used one near me for under $8,000

don't know what to get maybe just keep my 95 vmax even though the damn carb floats stck every couple months and now i have an il leak and need to make a oil fill cap vent hose contraption hate the speed wobble on this thing too

^ There are a few guys that went from a Gen 1 Vmax to a BKing and from what I know they don't regret it.
BUT the 2 guys I know that did that both said they will own a Gen 1 Vmax at some point in the future just because of the Bad A$$ persona of a Gen 1 Vmax.

Back