Dilemma about selling my 1999 VMax with 5,000 miles on it.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a dilemma about wanting to sell my 1999 Yamaha Vmax with a total of about 5,000 miles on it. I'm the second owner and I purchased it in Dec. 1999 with 1,500 miles on it. Never wrecked or suffered any problems with it. I'm 81 now and about 5 years ago I had put the bike in storage because I was getting too old to safely ride it. But I loved the VMax and didn't want to part with it. I considered it "garage art." While it was in storage, every week I visited it and rode it around the neighborhood. Until the last time I tried that. Bike would crank fine but would not even attempt to fire up and start. The week before, when I gave it the weekly ride, it had started up and ran fine. After that ride, I parked the bike in the storage unit and did not see it until I went back a week later. Absolutely nothing had been done to the bike from the time I parked it, after a normal and successful ride, and one week later, for some reason it would only crank but not even attempt to start. I didn't have any easy way to trailer it to a mechanic so the bike sat in storage for at least five years without me being responsible and prepping the bike for storage. But now I wish to sell it. I know it need all fluids change and gas tank checked for rust and carbs cleaned out. I always used alcohol free gasoline so that might have helped. So, it looks like this is a common situation. My dilemma is that, to get a decent price for the bike, I must spend time, effort and probably a couple thousand dollars getting the bike back on the road. Just so I can then sell the bike and get my couple of thousand dollar back, and hopefully one or two thousand more. I feel positive there is nothing majorly wrong with the bike and it is probably a minor electrical problem that caused it to refuse to start. Is there any alternative to my dilemma than spending money to make money?

Your best result would be to find a buyer like the members here in the forum, that can fix the bike themselves.

It's a lot of money to have a dealership or motorcycle shop fix the bike. I wonder if the cost to have it fixed "prefessionally" might be more value added by having it fixed.

If I were you, I would list it here on the forum, on Craigslist, and wherever else... with an explanation just like you made above.

Your best result would be to find a buyer like the members here in the forum, that can fix the bike themselves.

It's a lot of money to have a dealership or motorcycle shop fix the bike. I wonder if the cost to have it fixed "prefessionally" might be more value added by having it fixed.

If I were you, I would list it here on the forum, on Craigslist, and wherever else... with an explanation just like you made above.
I might get a break on fixing the bike to be road worthy. My daughters fiancé graduated from motorcycle school and he says he and I can work together to get bike back in shape. I even spent $600.00 buying a really cool hydraulic motorcycle lift so, if fiancé decides to take on the challenge of fixing bike, he and I can do it in the comfort of my garage. Thing is, at my age I don’t want to work on motorcycles. Plus, if we get it running again, with the attachment I have for a VMax, I might go against common sense and reason and decide to keep it. Me being 81, my wife would be outraged if she ever saw me riding a VMax again. She knows full well how powerful that machine is. :)

I'm curious to know why you think it will cost so much to sort.
You would need to change all fluids and probably the battery and then establish what's causing the problem. I doubt it would cost the money you say.

I understand that you don't have the mojo to work on the bike again but if you can get your daughters fiance to help it may even return?

Alternatively, keep it in the garage and still get the pleasure of seeing it when you open the door.
You could also arrange to have it put in the box with you when you depart this mortal coil>>>>>>>>?

Usually people graduate in their early 20's. With you 81 you must have started "kids" late in life or you daughter got a young one. Who knows, maybe he's 62. Just got me thinking
He is 40 years old as is my daughter. Years ago, after he completed his USMC enlistment he took out a student loan and went to Harley Davidson motorcycle mechanic school and graduated from that school. It seems that, because of him being a veteran, job offers better than being a motorcycle mechanic came to him. He never has actually worked as a motorcycle mechanic to my knowledge.

You would need to change all fluids and probably the battery and then establish what's causing the problem. I doubt it would cost the money you say.

I understand that you don't have the mojo to work on the bike again but if you can get your daughters fiance to help it may even return?

Alternatively, keep it in the garage and still get the pleasure of seeing it when you open the door.
You could also arrange to have it put in the box with you when you depart this mortal coil>>>>>>>>?
Fair question

A good question. If I decide to get the bike road worthy again, and I decide to avoid the burden of Jason and myself doing the work ourselves, I will have to pay a professional mechanic about $650 just to address any possible carburetors issues. What with the cost of supplies and professional labor for other work being done, I just guessed at a total cost to me of about $1,500 to $2,000. Regarding just leaving the bike in my garage and getting a burst of happiness each time I walk past it, such happiness is greatly diminished because I know bike cannot be ridden, if desired, or even started up. :(

Fair question
Contact me at [email protected]. I’m curious as to what you would take for the bike now, as is.
Contact me at [email protected]. I’m curious as to what you would take for the bike now, as is.
I was hoping to net $1,500-$2,000 after all is said and done. That is what it would cost me to buy a used Suzuki Savage motorcycle. A single cylinder motorcycle I believe I can still handle.

It can be painful to have to part ways with the vmax. A couple of other questions, where do you live and would you consider a trade for a good running single cylinder motorcycle to someone who’ll get it back on the road/running?

They're circling.

I don't believe you would have huge expenses returning it to the road. It's more labor time by someone who knows what to look at, how to fix it, & what parts to obtain.

Cyclejunkie, I thought I answered you, but I don’t see my answer. I am hoping to net $2,000.00 after all is said and done. That is about what it would cost me to buy a used Suzuki single cylinder Savage. I believe I could still handle a small bike like that .

It can be painful to have to part ways with the vmax. A couple of other questions, where do you live and would you consider a trade for a good running single cylinder motorcycle to someone who’ll get it back on the road/running?
Yes I would consider a trade for a air cooled, single cylinder, belt final drive like a Suzuki Savage.

Yes l understand you are looking to net $2000.0 or there about. Where are you located. I need to know if I’m close enough to pick it up or arrange shipping. I may also be willing to pay more than you expect, if I can get pictures of it’s current condition.

Back